This delicious Venison Chili is cooked slow and low in a Dutch Oven pot, all the warm spices just melt together to make the most amazing chili you'll ever eat. Using ground venison really helps keep the calories lower, it's cleaner and topped with your favorite extras - cheese, sour cream, avocado, green onions, etc it really is just a bowl of deliciousness.
Next time try my Crock Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs, a great recipe that I also use venison meat in!
Making chili is super easy, as long as you get the ingredients right - literally you just season and brown the venison ground meat, sweat the veggies then add all the rest of the ingredients to the pot - and simmer for about 3-4 hours.
Chili is always good to serve with corn chips, french fries, I even know someone who eats it on rice. I tried it... and it's good! We have a great cornbread recipe here, that tastes great with this chili recipe. Add some avocado, sour cream and cheese and you have a delicious combination of flavors that will satisfy any comfort food cravings!
I try not to make the deer chili recipe too hot, as we have kiddos eating too - this gives it just enough of a bite so that you know you're eating chili, but it's not uncomfortable. Those who like it hotter can always add a little hot sauce or chillies!
Note: If you don't have to worry about the heat and prefer it hotter - add Cayenne Pepper, chilies or hot sauce to taste.
- Red Kidney Beans (chili beans)
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Creole Seasoning
- Cooking Oil
- Ground Venison
- Sweet Onions
- Green Bell Peppers
- Chopped Carrots
- Chopped Cloves Garlic
- Rotel (chopped tomatoes and chilies)
- Tomato Paste
- Diced Tomatoes
- Tomato Sauce
- Bay Leaves
- Cumin, dried
- Chili Powder
See recipe card below for quantities.
- Step 1: Season and brown the venison ground meat over a medium-high heat.
- Step 2: Remove the ground meat and sweat the veggies over a medium heat until translucent.
- Step 3: Add all the remaining ingredients to a large Dutch Oven pot, stir with your wooden spoon to combine.
- Step 4: Cover and let the chili cook over a low heat for 3-4 hours.
Hint: if you are short on time, you could use canned beans. Make sure to rinse them off before adding to the chili or they may add too much sodium.
Sharing is Caring ❤ - Like our Facebook Page
- Ground Meat - instead of ground venison you could use ground turkey or ground beef with this recipe.
- Black Beans - Some people like to use black beans instead of kidney beans.
- Sweetness - I use carrots to sweeten this dish, but if you prefer you could just use sugar.
- Vegetarian - forget the ground meat altogether and use more variety of beans.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes while cooking to imbue heat into the dish, or hot sauce
- Deluxe - add avocado, sour cream, cheddar cheese on top.
- Kid friendly - use less of the chilies etc.
Although I use a Dutch oven to cook this venison chili, you can also take this same recipe and add it to a slow cooker and let it cook all day. This is another one of our favorite crock pot dishes!!
Or, you need it quicker - go ahead and use the Instant Pot. Brown the ground meat and veggies on saute function, then cook for 20 minutes.
Once you have allowed the chili to cool completely, add to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Chili is actually one of those dishes that tastes so much better then next day anyway!
This dish freezes very well. Add to a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
This is a total mom-hack! So, instead of sugar to coax the natural sweetness out of the tomatoes, I like to use carrots. My son and husband HATE vegetables so this is my way of getting a little extra into their diet - plus I think it compliments the dish well. Just make sure to chop them up really fine so that they just melt into the dish.
- 1lb Red Kidney Beans, dried
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Creole Seasoning
- 3 Teaspoons Cooking Oil
- 3lb Ground Venison
- 2 Large Sweet Onions, diced
- 1 Large Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 2 Sticks Celery, diced
- ½ Cup Carrots, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic, minced
- 1 (10oz) Can Rotel, Original (tomatoes and chilies)
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 (14oz) Diced Tomatoes
- 5 Cups Tomato Sauce
- 3 Large Bay Leaves
- 2 Tablespoons Cumin
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- Soak beans overnight in water with 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1tsp Onion Powder and 1tsp Tony Chacheres Creole Seasoning
- In 3 teaspoon cooking oil (or olive oil) Brown the ground meat with 2 tablespoon Creole Seasoning, until almost cooked through still slightly pink). Drain the fluid and set aside.
- Chop Onion, Celery and Bell Pepper in Food Processor.
- Take this and add to dutch oven Pot - cook on medium heat.
- Add carrots to food processor and chop on high speed to get them as fine as possible. Add to pot.
- Cook until onions are sweating and translucent.
- Add garlic and cook a further 2 minutes.
- Add Tomato Paste and mix together cooking for a further 2 mins.
- Add Rotel, Diced Tomatoes and Tomato Sauce. Keep cooking on medium.
- Once bubbling add ground venison back to the pot and mix together.
- Add beans according to your preference.
- Add bay leaves, cumin and chili powder, mix together well and turn heat down to idle on low for about 4 hours.
- Remove bay leaves and serve.
Cooking time can vary depending on heat applied. It can be ready quicky, you would have to watch the pot closely though. Check the beans for done-ness.
This recipe is also PERFECT for the crockpot!
The dutch oven is not a deal breaker. Any large pot will do.
Add salt and black pepper to taste (optional).
For added heat, you could add cayenne, green chilies, jalapeno peppers or hot sauce.
If you don't have kidney beans, you could use pinto beans instead.
Use a the high pressure of an Instant Pot to speed up cooking time. Saute the ground venison and vegetables first then cook 30 minutes on chili/beans mode.
Nutrition InformationYield 20 Serving Size 1 Cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 208Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 67mgSodium 785mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 22g