This Seafood Gumbo recipe is one of our family's favorites. If the boys have been out and caught some blue crabs (but not enough for a crab boil) this is my go-to recipe. Seafood Gumbo is so delicious, it's perfect comfort food on a cold day!
Gumbo is a soup popular to Louisiana and is the official state cuisine! What makes this recipe more like the New Orleans Seafood Gumbo variation is my use of a Roux as the thickening agent. When this isn't used, Okra or Gumbo Filé powder is used. I like to use the roux method but have the Filé handy at the table, for if you want your gumbo thicker.
- All Purpose Flour
- Canola Oil
- Yellow Onion, chopped
- Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- Celery, chopped
- Andouille Sausage, sliced
- Smoked Sausage, sliced
- Creole Seasoning
- Dried Thyme
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Whole Bay Leaf
- Fresh Garlic
- Seafood Stock
- Chicken Stock
- Blue Crabs
- Crab Meat
- Parsley, Chopped
- Green Onion, Chopped
See recipe card for quantities.
- Step 1: Make a dark roux. This is done by cooking the oil and flour together over a medium heat (or if you have other things going on use a low heat), continuously stirring.
What is a Roux?
An important part of this recipe is making the Roux. You are aiming for a darkness of chocolate, or a little darker than a penny! This is a very important step and if at any point your Roux burns there is no saving it, you have to start again! Do not think it will be ok and just blend it, because it won't, everyone will taste it.
- Step 2: Add the holy trinity of onions, green pepper and celery and cook on a medium-high heat until totally soft. Then add the garlic and cook a little longer. Add the sausage slices and cook another few minutes.
- Step 3: Next, slowly add the stock, along with the garlic and the bay leaves.
- Step 4: Allow this beautiful Cajun Seafood Gumbo base to simmer for about 90 minutes. After that, add the seafood, the green onions and parsley. Cook for a further 15 minutes and that's it!
Serve with white rice (and potato salad on the side - don't ask why, it just goes together!) This Seafood Gumbo Recipe is the best I've managed to get... and I've tried many different versions!
Hint: It's very important to use a good quality smoked sausage. One that you know is good - if you guess at this it may mess up the flavor. A lot of the quality of flavor comes from the smoked sausage. See my favorites down in the recipe card.
- Shrimp Stock - instead of seafood stock, try using shrimp stock.
- Gumbo Crabs - you might not be able to find Blue Crabs, but gumbo crabs I think are the same thing
- Chicken Broth - there's a slight difference between broth and stock. Either one will be ok in this recipe.
- Spicy - add hot sauce while cooking to imbue heat into the dish
- Deluxe - add even more fish/seafood - go wild!
- Kid friendly - slice the sausages differently so you know which is the andouille sausage (the spicier sausage)
Make This Recipe In The Instant Pot
This is also a good seafood gumbo instant pot recipe - Make the roux as suggested in saute function, then add as described above. Cancel saute mode and lock the lid into place.
Select high pressure and set time for 15 minutes. Allow 10-15 mins for pressure to build. Release pressure using the natural-release method. Switch to Saute function.
Add remaining ingredients and cook on saute for 15 minutes.
I use a heavy Gumbo Pot, or Stock Pot. It has a heavy, thick base and allow you to let that soup roll without burning! I have a link to the exact pot I use below in the recipe card.
Allow this seafood gumbo to cool completely, then store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
I like to peel about 70% of the shrimp before I put in, this way most won't need peeling while you're eating but you still get the flavor from the shrimp shells from the remaining 30%.
Gumbo is actually classed as a soup, it's a delicious Cajun/Creole dish full of meat and smoked sausage. There are different type of Gumbo - most common are Chicken and Sausage and Seafood Gumbo.
To be honest, Gumbo actually translated means Okra. It is used as a thickening ingredient. However it's quite a different taste that some don't like. It's quite a touchy subject, for some Cajuns they feel the dish is just not Gumbo without the Okra in it... but I believe it's a personal taste.
Originally, when Gumbo was first created Okra was used as the thickening ingredient. Gumbo Filé was created from Sassafras, to thicken a Gumbo. Only later did people start to make a Gumbo using a roux. I believe today the roux method is the preferred method.
The history of Gumbo starts in North Africa. The slaves that worked the plantations in Louisiana would cook for the families and workers and Gumbo was a dish that they brought with them.
If you’ve tried this Louisiana Seafood Gumbo Recipe or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes!
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 Cup Canola Oil
- 2 Cups Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1 Cup Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Cup Celery, chopped
- 2 Links Andouille Sausage, sliced
- 2 Links Smoked Sausage, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Creole Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme, Dried
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic, Fresh Minced
- 8 Bay Leaves, Whole
- 5 Cups Seafood Stock
- 5 Cups Chicken Stock
- ½ Cup Fresh Parsley, Chopped
- ⅔ Cup Green Onions, Chopped
- 2lb Crabs, Whole
- 2lb Large Shrimp
- 8oz fresh lump crab meat
- Add Oil to pan and turn on medium heat.
- Add flour and continue to stir, watching close, until the mixture (Roux) has turned a dark chocolate color.F
- Add Onions, Bell Pepper and Celery and stir until translucent.
- Add Sausage, mix together for 3 minutes.
- Add Spices and stir together.
- Slowly add stock, stirring all the time. Add Bayleaves and fresh Garlic.
- Turn the heat down to a low roll and cover.
- Allow to simmer like this for 90 Minutes.
- While simmering organize rice and any other side dishes.
- Add Crab, Shrimp, Crab Meat, Green Onion and Parsley and bring back to a boil. Cook on a slow roll for 15 minutes. Turn off heat.
If you like a spicier Gumbo replace smoked sausage with andouille sausage, making it 4 Links of Andouille and add another TBSP of Creole Seasoning.
Try changing the shapes of the sausage - whole slices for the regular smoked sausage and smaller dices for the hotter Andouille, that way it's easier for the kids to eat.
I like to peel about 70% of the shrimp before I put in, this way most won't need peeling while you're eating but you still get the flavor from the shrimp shell from the remaining 30%.
The stock is flexible, you can use all Seafood, or all Chicken - I just like the blend of both. You could even try shrimp stock.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 579Total Fat 31gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 25gCholesterol 303mgSodium 908mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 48g