Heart shaped chocolate chip cookies are the perfect treat to make for a loved one. This recipe leaves you with delicious soft and chewy cookies with a slightly crunchy edge. Perfection.
Of course, you don't need to wait for Valentine's Day to surprise a loved one with a batch of these delicious cookies, they're perfect any time of year.
❤️ Why you'll love it
- There's no need for a cookie cutter, shape the dough yourself.
- This recipe leaves you with the perfect chocolate chip cookie, keep the recipe for your every day cookies without shaping them.
- These cookies are the perfect way to show someone you love them.
- Make great valentine's day treats for say, an office party, or classroom.
- Makes a change from the usual sugar cookie you see for the perfect homemade treat.
- Granulated Sugar
- Light Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities.
- Step 1: Add the softened butter to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Step 2: Add the brown sugar and white sugar and keep beating, until creamy again.
- Step 3: Add the vanilla extract, then the egg. Mix until combined.
- Step 4: Place the flour, baking soda and baking powder into a medium bowl and mix with a whisk.
- Step 5: Add the dry ingredients ½ measuring cup at a time to the butter mixture.
- Step 6: When combined (scrape the sides and bottom to make sure) fold in the chocolate chips.
- Step 7: Using a regular cookie scoop, place two scoops onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Step 8: Keep some flour on hand and flour your hands to do the next part. Gently press the cookie dough into a narrow shape of a heart, about ½" thick. Keep adding flour to hands as the dough can be quite sticky.
- Step 9: Place the heart shaped cookie dough into the refrigerator and chill for at least 2 hours - more if possible.
- Step 10: Place baking sheet straight into the oven from the refrigator and bake for 12 minutes, until golden brown on the edges.
- Step 11: Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Hint: Ensure the cookie dough is a minimum of 2" apart from each other. The dough will spread. After you remove from the oven you can work quickly and reshape the hearts if needed, the dough will be nice and pliable. Use a spatula or a butter knife.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Milk Chocolate Chips - instead of the semi-sweet chocolate.
- Dark Chocolate Chips - instead of the semi-sweet chocolate.
- White Chocolate Chips - instead of the semi-sweet chocolate.
- Unsalted Butter - you'll need to add a ½ teaspoon of salt to the recipe though.
- Heart-Shaped Pan - use one of these with this recipe for one big cookie.
- Big Hearts - scoop more cookie dough to create bigger hearts. There will be less of course.
- Candy Melts - you could melt some and drizzle across the top of the cookie hearts.
- Melted Chocolate - drizzle some over the top for extra love.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Although I like to use my stand mixer for almost all my baking, if you don't have access to one it's ok. Mixing this dough by hand can be done. Or perhaps use an electric mixer if you have one.
I have some affiliate links below for the equipment I used in this recipe.
I did not use cookie cutters in the making of these cookies.
📘 Related Recipes
Once cooled completely these heart shaped chocolate chip cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week (for best results).
They can be frozen, which is great if you like to batch cook. Store the cookie dough (or cookies) in a freezer safe container for up to 6 months. Or wrap with plastic wrap, and foil.
Expert Tip: Depending on how you like your chocolate chip cookies, cook a little longer for a crunchier cookie, or a little less for soft cookies.
The 12 minutes I use in this recipe leaves me with delicious soft in the middle cookies with crisp edges.
If you’ve tried this Heart Shaped Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 8 Tablespoons Salted Butter, room temperature
- ½ Cup Light Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg
- 1-½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Add butter to the bowl of a stand mixer and cream for 2 mintues.
- Add the brown sugar and white sugar and beat again until creamy.
- Add the vanilla and egg and mix again until combined. Scrape down sides and bottom with a spatula to be sure.
- In another small mixing bowl add the flour, baking soda and baking powder and mix with a whisk.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture ½ cup at a time until all mixed.
- Using a spatula fold the chocolate chips into the mixture (save some to add after they are baked, for looks).
- Using a small cookie scoop take two scoops and lay on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Dip your fingers in flour and press the cookie dough into a narrow heart shape. The cookie dough is quite sticky so the flour helps. Heart should be about ½" thick.
- Repeat, leaving 2" between each cookie. You'll need two cookie sheets for this, to ensure enough space, or do it in two batches.
- Place baking sheet in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours - longer is better.
- After this time, heat your oven to 375°.
- Bake the cookies for 12 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with the second batch.
The cookies are really pliable when they first come out of the oven. Use a rubber spatula to reshape/ tidy up the heart shapes if necessary.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 282Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 36mgSodium 134mgCarbohydrates 41gFiber 1gSugar 24gProtein 3g