If you've never had a traditional Cajun Fish Fry then you've missed out. Cajun people really know how to cook and seafood is a specialty. No matter the type of fish, this Cajun Fish Fry Recipe works.
Frying fish is year round for us. Certain times of the year is better for certain types of fish.
One thing stays constant though. We always have a lot of fish.
If you're not as lucky as me, to have a husband that lives to fish, any store bought fish is fine I'm sure.
❤️ Why you'll love it
- The Cajun Seasoning used in this recipe is perfection. It really makes the fish fry.
- It's easy to make, I like to use resealable bags to give less dishes.
- All purpose Flour
- Yellow Cornmeal
- Cajun Seasoning
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities.
- Step 1: Mix your fish fry ingredients together in a large resealable bag.
- Step 2: In another resealable bag add some mustard then add your fish filets. Allow to sit for about 15 minutes (or longer).
- Step 3: Once your grease has heated to 350°F, take some of the fish from the mustard and drop into the bag with the Cajun Fish Fry. Shake around to coat the filets.
- Step 4: Drop those breaded filets into the hot grease and cook over medium-high heat for about 3-4 minutes, until golden brown.
- Step 5: Remove with a slotted spoon and allow to dry on a baking sheet lined with paper towel.
- Step 6: Repeat with the remaining fish fillets.
Hint: Don't overcrowd the bag of fish fry. Just take around 6-8 filets at a time from the mustard into the fish fry bag. It's also best not to fry too much at the same time and overcrowd the pot.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Hot Sauce - add a little heat to your fish fry, add some hot sauce to your mustard, or sprinkle over after frying.
- Lemons - serve with some lemon wedges to sprinkle some lemon juice.
- Creole Mustard - use this instead of regular mustard to give some more kick.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Unless you're using an electric fryer, which is great for holding the temperature you want, I like to use a Dutch Oven for even heat.
I have some affiliate links in the recipe card below.
📘 Related Recipes
- Southern Tartar Sauce Recipe
- Seafood Sauce Recipe
- Fried Crab Claws
- Southern Sweet Hush Puppies
- Cajun Fries
- Remoulade Sauce
- Southern Fried Catfish
Once cooled completely store in an airtight container lined with paper towel in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Expert Tip: After you drop the fish into the hot oil, turn up the heat as the grease will drop in temperature quickly. Use a thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature. Once it has come back up turn the heat back down.
If you’ve tried this Cajun Fish Fry Recipe or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons Onion Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
- 3 Tablespoons Cajun Seasoning
- Mix all ingredients in a large resealable bag.
- Add mustard to another resealable bag.
- Drop your fish into the mustard mixture and allow to sit for about 15 minutes.
- When you're ready to fry, (the temperature of the oil should be 350°F) take some of the fish out of the mustard and drop into the fish fry mixture, to coat completely.
- Drop into the hot oil and fry for about 3-4 minutes. Remove and allow to drain on some paper towels.
- Rrepeat with the remaining fish.
The longer the fish can sit in the mustard, the better. Allow to sit up to an hour at room temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 242Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1233mgCarbohydrates 51gFiber 4gSugar 1gProtein 6g