This copycat Popeyes Sweet Heat Sauce Recipe is super easy to make and tastes like you just picked it up from the famous southern fried chicken franchise.
It's very easy to make with simple ingredients you already likely have in your pantry.
I like pairing this sauce with shrimp too, it's delicious and will give your taste buds a ride! It's my favorite recipe.
❤️ Why you'll love it
- You can make this copycat recipe for sweet heat sauce in less than 2 minutes.
- Adjust the cayenne/red pepper flakes to your liking, if you like more spicy food, or less.
- Pour this delicious sauce over the top of a block of cream cheese for a delicious dip (instead of sweet chili sauce) with a sweet flavor.
- You can dip your fried chicken, chicken tenders, chicken nuggets, French fries or tater tots - or even seafood. It all tastes delicious.
- White Vinegar
- Brown Sugar
- Apricot Jam
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities.
This is an overview of the recipe steps. For more detailed instructions visit the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Step 1: Add all ingredients to a small mixing bowl.
- Step 2: Give a good stir, with a small whisk, or a fork.
- Step 3: Serve.
Hint: If you have a little longer, the sauce does get better after sitting and 'marrying together' for a while. If you have the time, leave it sit for 30 minutes to get the best result.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Apple Cider Vinegar - instead of white vinegar.
- Lemon Juice - for added citrus/acid.
- Garlic Salt - instead of garlic powder. Omit the salt.
- Dark Brown Sugar - instead of regular brown sugar.
- Maple Syrup - instead of honey.
- Worcestershire Sauce - to add some umami.
- Tomato Paste - to add a little tomato flavor.
- Chili Powder - more depth of flavor.
- Dill Pickle Relish - instead of vinegar.
- Apricot Preserves - instead of jam.
- Black Pepper - for more spice.
- Hot Sauce - add some extra drops of hot sauce for added heat.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You'll just need a small mixing bowl and a small whisk. I do have an affiliate link or two in the recipe card below, if you're interested.
📘 Related Recipes
- Popeyes Cajun Fries
- Popeyes Mashed Potatoes
- Bojangles Fried Chicken Recipe
- Southern Chicken and Waffles
If you have some left, or have made this Popeyes Sweet Heat Sauce Recipe in a bigger batch, you should store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will stay good for 2 weeks.
Expert Tip: Depending on the color of your jam your sauce might not look as good as this (or as Popeye's does). If this is the case - sneak in a drop of red food color. We don't need to tell anyone, lol.
More Popeyes Signature Sauce Ideas
- Voodoo Sauce
- Bayou Buffalo
- Barbecue Sauce
- Tartar Sauce
- Buttermilk Ranch
- Mardi Gras Mustard
- Creole cocktail sauce
- Sweet and Sour Sauce
If you’ve tried this Popeyes Sweet Heat Sauce Recipe or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- ¼ Cup White Vinegar
- ¼ Cup Apricot Jam
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Pinch of Salt
- Add all ingredients to a small mixing bowl and mix well with a small whisk.
- Serve with chicken or seafood.
This recipe will yield a sauce that has just the right amount of heat to sweet (just like Popeye's version) if you prefer less spice, or more, adjust accordingly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 142Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 58mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 0gSugar 30gProtein 0g