These cute and easy Grinch Cookies with Cake Mix are soft, cake-like in texture and deliciously sweet. This is one of my favorite Christmas cookies to make because of how easy they are.
Everything 'Grinch Stole Christmas' is popular in our home for Christmas. My daughter just loves it, it's her favorite Christmas movie. So she squeals with delight when I make these for her.
❤️ Why you'll love it
- Anything that is easy and quick around the holiday season is always a bonus in my book.
- You don't have to be especially artistic to make these cute cookies.
- So few ingredients it's quite an inexpensive Christmas cookie option.
- They're a great option for a cookie exchange.
- Use these cookies for Santa with a glass of milk.
- They're fun treats for the kids to bring to their class at Christmas time.
- Have a family movie night, watch this classic movie and snack on yummy Grinch crinkle cookies.
- White Cake Mix
- Almond Extract
- Neon Green Food Coloring
- ¼ Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities.
This is an overview of the recipe steps. For more detailed instructions visit the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Step 1: Add the box of white cake mix to the bowl of a stand mixer along with the eggs and butter and mix until combined.
- Step 2: Add the almond extract followed by the green food dye.
- Step 3: Mix until there's no visible streaks of color in the cookie dough.
- Step 4: In a small mixing bowl add the powdered sugar and cornstarch and mix with a whisk.
- Step 5: Drop a cookie scoop of the green cookie dough into the powdered sugar then help it form a ball with your hands.
- Step 6: Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Step 7: Repeat until the cookie sheet is full with cookies 2" apart.
- Step 8: Bake in a preheated oven for about 8-10 minutes.
- Step 9: Remove from the oven and press a heart sprinkle into each cookie while it is still hot.
- Step 10: Once cooled slightly transfer to a wire rack to cool completely and repeat with the remaining cookie dough.
Hint: Keep a close watch on the cookies when baking. If your oven runs hot it might brown too much on the edges and with this kind of cake mix it can brown too dark very quickly.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Yellow Cake Mix - instead of the white cake mix. It will change color though and won't be such a pretty green.
- Cream Cheese - instead of butter.
- Red Icing - if you don't have access to the red heart sprinkles you could make a small batch of red icing and draw them on.
- Chocolate Chips - add some white chocolate chips.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I love to use my stand mixer for all my baking, I have an affiliate link in the recipe card below for the brand I use.
You could use a hand mixer instead, if you don't have a stand mixer.
You'll also need cookie sheets, a small mixing bowl and a cookie scoop.
📘 More Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Snowflake Cookies
- Christmas Oreo Cookies
- Stacked Christmas Tree Cookies
- Cranberry Orange Almond Shortbread Cookies
- Starbucks Snowman Cookie Recipe
- Snowflake Gingerbread Cookies
Or take a look at this Christmas Charcuterie Board for something eye-catching and great for a party. Or this list of Santa's Favorite Cookies.
Once the cookies have cooled completely store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
These cookies do freeze well, so if you want to freeze them do so in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature for about 1 hour.
Expert Tip: If you are in a pinch and don't have the ability to find large heart sprinkles at short notice - you could draw a heart using food dye, if you have it.
Absolutely not. You could use a large bowl with a hand mixer if you have one - or you could go completely old school and use a wire whisk.
If you’ve tried this Grinch Cookies With Cake Mix Recipe or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
You can also follow me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes!
Grinch Cookies With Cake Mix
Deliciously soft and cake-like these easy Grinch Cookies made with cake mix are a cinch to make and take hardly any time to make.
- 1 (15.25oz) Box White Cake Mix
- ½ Cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2 Large Eggs, room temperature
- ⅛ teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1 teaspoon Neon Green Food Color
- ¼ Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 18 Jumbo Heart Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the cake mix, eggs and butter to the bowl of your stand mixer and mix together until combined (about 1 minute).
- Add the almond extract, then mix, then add the green food color.
- Mix until totally combined and there is no streaks of color.
- In a small mixing bowl add the powdered sugar and cornstarch and mix with a whisk.
- Take a cookie scoop and make a full scoop of the green cookie dough, drop it into the bowl with the powdered sugar.
- Using your hands take the sugar coated cookie dough scoop out of the bowl and place on the cookie sheet.
- Repeat until you fill the cookie sheet with cookies, 2" apart.
- Bake in the oven for about 8 minutes.
- Remove and immediately press one large red heart onto the cookie while it is still hot and soft.
- Allow to cool a little before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with the remaining cookie dough.
Watch the cookies in the oven when it's close to the end of the cooking time. The edges do brown a little but you don't want the cookies to get too brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 18 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 97Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 34mgSodium 22mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 0gSugar 5gProtein 1g
Have you seen my Giant Valentines Cookie? It's so deliciously pretty.
Leave a Reply