These Cranberry Orange Almond Shortbread Cookies are our family favorite cookies during the holiday season. With fresh orange zest and the deliciously sweet taste of dried cranberries they are the perfect Christmas cookie.
As mentioned earlier, these cookies make a perfect Christmas cookie, or Thanksgiving. Or just fall in general. This is when Cranberries are traditionally in season and served, when we start to see a lot of cranberry infused desserts and cookie recipes.
Personally, I love cranberries and in this recipe they pair so well with the citrusy flavor of the orange zest. Your holiday cookie platter won't last long with these on them.
- Salted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Almond extract
- All Purpose Flour
- Orange zest
- Dried cranberries
- White chocolate
See recipe card for quantities.
- Step 1: In a large bowl, using a hand mixer at medium speed cream together the cream and butter until fluffy. (Or you can use a stand mixer)
- Step 2: Mix in the Almond Extract.
- Step 3: In another bowl mix together the all purpose flour and cornstarch.
- Step 4: Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat together on a low speed until mixed well.
- Step 5: Stir the cranberries and orange zest into the cookie dough.
- Step 6: Take the cookie dough and lay it out on a lightly floured surface. Mold into a circular disc.
- Step 7: Roll out the dough to about ¼" thick.
- Step 8: Cut out the cookies with a 2.5" cookie cutter.
- Step 9: Lay the cookies out on parchment paper. Bake cookies in the oven for 15 minutes. They'll be ready when the edges are golden brown in color.
- Step 10: Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack. Drizzle white chocolate over the cookies once cooled.
Hint: Once you have laid them out on the baking sheet you can wrap the sheet in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour. This will help stop the spreading.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Fillings - this shortbread dough recipe can be used with any filling. Instead of the cranberry orange combo, you can swap it out for nuts, chocolate, lemon zest, fresh cranberries or a different berry.
- Spice it up! - you could also add some seasonal spices in these delicious cookies!
- Vanilla - instead of almond extract use vanilla extract.
- Milk Chocolate - Instead of the white chocolate, if you prefer drizzle milk chocolate instead.
Store these cookies in an airtight container, at room temperature for up to one week.
You can freeze these cookies too, in an airtight container, for up to 3 months.
💡 Top tip
Expert Tip: This buttery shortbread cookie can spread somewhat when baking so leave some space between each one on the baking sheet. If you want that clean, rounded look for your cookies you can bake them for 10 minutes then pull them out of the oven and set the cookie cutter just carefully around the edge of a cookie and move in a circular motion to shape the cookie and smooth the edges, then return them to the oven to finish baking.
Otherwise, when you bake them you will get that traditional spreaded look.
📘 More Cookie Recipes
- Christmas Oreo Cookies
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cookies
- Jam Heart Cookies
- Butter Crunch Cookies
- Stacked Christmas Tree Cookies
- Chunky Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Snowflake Cookies
- Grinch Cookies with Cake Mix
Sugar cookies use leavening agents and so have a lighter, softer texture. These Orange Cranberry Cookies do not use a leavening agent so are more dense, buttery and less sugary.
Yes. The dried cranberries are sweeter, so I would use double the number of fresh cranberries called for in the recipe. Be careful when stirring them into the cookie dough, you'll want to stir slowly.
You must have used too much flour, this can happen if you used too much during the rolling out stage, etc. Best thing to do is make sure you are careful during the measuring stage and the flouring surface stage and you'll get the perfect cookie.
Traditionally, a shortbread cookie is a Scottish biscuit (cookie) that is made from four simple ingredients. Flour, butter, sugar and salt. The ratio is always as follows: One parts butter, two parts sugar and three parts flour.
If you’ve tried these Cranberry Orange Almond Shortbread Cookies or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
- 1 ½ cup Butter, softened (salted)
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Almond Extract
- 2 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons Orange Zest
- 1 cup Dried Cranberries, finely chopped (Craisins)
- 2 ounces of White Chocolate, melted
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Mix in the almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and cornstarch.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Stir in the orange zest and dried cranberries.
- Empty the dough onto a well-floured surface, then roll the dough out to about a ¼ inch thick.
- Cut out the cookies with a 2.5 inch cookie cutter.
- Place the cookies on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the cookies at 325 degrees for 12 minutes. (Or until just turning golden on the edges.)
- When the cookies have cooled completely, use a fork to drizzle the white chocolate over them.
These cookies can spread a bit when baking so leave some space between each one on the cookie sheet. If you want that smooth, rounded look for your cookies you can bake them for 10 minutes then pull them out of the oven and set the cookie cutter just carefully around the edge of a cookie and move in a circular motion to shape the cookie and smooth the edges, then return them to the oven to finish baking. Otherwise, when you bake them you will get that traditional spreaded look.
You could also refrigerate the cookies for 1 hour before cooking, that will also stop some of that spreading.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 15 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 349Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 50mgSodium 151mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 1gSugar 23gProtein 3g