This Slow Cooker Cajun 15 Bean Soup recipe is so hearty and full of flavor it's one of my favorite comfort foods. The flavors are so typically Cajun with the smoked sausage and trinity of vegetables but the addition of all the different types of beans makes this a surprisingly tasty meal.
Typically this type of meal is a favorite during the colder months due to its heartiness. It's the kind of food you crave on a cold day.
The types of beans in this mixture are black beans, baby lima, red beans, cranberry bean, pink bean, navy beans, white kidney, large lima and yellow split peas, amongst others.
❤️ Why you'll love it
- The ingredients are not expensive, it's a relatively cost effective way to feed a bunch of people with little cost. It's one of the best things about this recipe.
- It's a stick-to-your-ribs kind of hearty soup that really fills you up and has you rubbing your belly. Comfort food deluxe.
- There's a seasoning packet that comes in the hurst's cajun 15 Bean Mix, which is fine to use. I use my own Cajun seasoning blend though. This is entirely up to you.
- You could cook this recipe in the pressure cooker (instant pot) easily, and cut the time down to 1 hour.
- Serve over white rice with a slice of corn bread on the side and you have a meal.
- 15 Bean Soup Mix
- Chicken Broth
- Smoked Kielbasa Sausage
- Browned ground meat (beef or venison)
- Canned chopped tomatoes
- Green Bell Pepper
- Yellow Onion
- Cajun Seasoning
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities.
- Step 1: Soak the beans overnight and skim for unwanted debris.
- Brown the ground beef (or venison) in a large skillet.
- Step 2: Add to a large slow cooker along with the other ingredients.
- Step 3: Add the chicken broth, give a good stir and cover with the lid.
- Step 4: Cook on high for 5 hours.
Hint: To thicken the juices a little remove the lid 30-60 minutes at the end of the cook time. Smash some of the beans on the side of the slow cooker with the back of your spoon, that will also thicken the juices.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Smoked Ham Hock - instead of the smoked sausage.
- Andouille Sausage - in addition to the smoked sausage.
- Chili Powder - for a little heat and flavor.
- Mild Italian Sausage - for a change in flavors.
- Chicken Stock - if you can't get chicken broth.
- Leftover Turkey - make sure you're using leftover turkey, but if you can't you could use any other leftover meat.
- Cayenne Pepper - to add a little heat.
- Hot Sauce - for more heat.
- Corn Starch and Cold Water - add a slurry of this mixture to thicken if you prefer.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
For this recipe all you'll need is a 7 quart slow cooker and a skillet to brown the ground meat.
I have an affiliate link in the recipe card below.
📘 Related Recipes
- Kielbasa and Baked Beans
- Crock Pot Beer Chili
- Crock Pot Pinto Beans
- Instant Pot White Beans
- Cuban Chicken Soup
- Shrimp and Corn Bisque
- Saltgrass Baked Potato Soup Recipe
Once the Cajun 15 Bean Soup has cooled completely store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
This recipe does freeze well - freeze in a safe container for up to 3 months.
Expert Tip: Soaking the beans overnight will ensure they're totally soft at the end of the cooking time. If you haven't had time to do this you will need to add a few hours to your cooking time.
If you’ve tried this Slow Cooker Cajun 15 Bean Soup Recipe or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
You can also follow me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes!
Slow Cooker Cajun 15 Bean Soup Recipe
Full of flavor this slow cooker Cajun 15 bean soup is smoky, heart warming and full of Cajun ingredients.
- 1 (20oz) Package 15 Bean Soup Mix, soaked overnight
- 1lb Ground Beef (or venison) browned
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 2 Stalks Celery, chopped
- 1 Medium Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 5 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1lb Smoked Kielbasa Sausage, sliced
- 1 (15oz) Can Diced Tomatoes
- 6 Cups Chicken Broth
- 3 Large Bay Leaves
- 2 Tablespoons Cajun Seasoning
- Add the package of beans to a pot of water to soak overnight.
- Brown the ground meat and add to the slow cooker along with all the other ingredients.
- Add the chicken broth and stir.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.
- At the end, remove the cover for the last 30 minutes to thicken. You can also smash some of the beans on the side of the slow cooker to thicken the juices.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 436Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 45mgSodium 4400mgCarbohydrates 44gFiber 17gSugar 10gProtein 20g
So delicious try eat breakfast every one is buying it
Roger L Trettin says
I made a crock pot full of this bean soup for a family gathering today where it was what we call 'soup day' where 3-4 soups are made for the days meals. My beans were of the 'nine bean' variety and I added a cup and a half of chopped carrots. WOW-what good soup, was a hit with everyone. Some of the other soups were ate, but this slow cooker bean Cajun spiced soup was nearly gone. Will make again. Thank you for posting.
04/19--- Made a 2nd batch. 2nd good as the 1st.
Melanie Cagle says
So glad you enjoyed it Roger!