The delicious Rotisserie Chicken used in this southern chicken spaghetti recipe really adds great flavor plus it's the best texture of tender chicken to go with the creamy sauce and spaghetti topped with a tasty cheese blend.
Chicken Spaghetti with Rotel (chopped tomatoes and chilies) adds a little heat which is not too much, it's just right. In fact, using the Rotel like this you could call it a southern chicken spaghetti because of it.
Next time try my Pastalaya recipe, it's a Cajun specialty and my family loves when I make this one!
The whole family goes nuts over this, so much so - last time I doubled it and made two dishes just so everyone could have a chance to have seconds, or more later on.
This dish is ultimate comfort food. It's one of those great recipes that is easy to make so is perfect for busy nights, has few ingredients and really makes your tummy very happy. It's great later in the year when the weather starts changing - although it's a family favorite so they request it at all times during the year.
- Spaghetti noodles
- Whole Chicken, rotisserie, shredded
- Velveeta Cheese
- Cream Cheese
- Diced Tomatoes and Chilies (Rotel tomatoes)
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Creole Seasoning
- Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- Cheddar Cheese, shredded
See recipe card for quantities.
- Step 1: Debone and shred the whole rotisserie chicken. Set aside.
- Step 2: Add the Velveeta, cream cheese, tomatoes and green chilies, cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup to a large pot and add a medium heat. Stir often to help combine
- Step 3: Once the sauce has melted and is completely combined add the seasoning and stir well.
- Step 4: While the cheese sauce is melting/cooking, cook the spaghetti per the package instructions, until Al Dente.
- Step 5: Add the cooked spaghetti and the shredded chicken to the cheese sauce and stir carefully to combine evenly. If your pot is not big enough use a large mixing bowl.
- Step 6: Pour this chicken spaghetti mixture into a lightly greased 13x9" casserole dish or baking dish and top with the shredded cheeses. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 25-30 Minutes.
Hint: The first time I tried to make this cheesy casserole it seemed like it took forever for the cheese to melt. Cut the Velveeta cheese into pieces if you want it to cook quicker.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Chicken Breasts - although I love rotisserie chicken, you can also use chicken breasts which you can cook yourself and spice to your preference. Or use any leftover chicken you may have.
- Noodles - Instead of using spaghetti, try using your favorite noodles, like farfalle, fusilli or penne.
- Shrimp - Instead of chicken, try shrimp instead. Or if you have access, you could even use crawfish in this recipe.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes while cooking to imbue heat into the dish, or you could even use the spicy version of the Velveeta.
- Chicken Broth - try cooking the spaghetti in chicken broth to add even more flavor!
- Green peppers - green bell peppers can be chopped and added as extra flavor. If your family doesn't mind the added texture. Sweat them down in a little butter for a few minutes before adding the cheese sauce ingredients. You could also try red peppers.
- Sour Cream - try sour cream instead of cream cheese.
- Parmesan Cheese - Try adding a little parmesan cheese for a little extra cheesy flavor!
- Green Onions - top with some green onions.
- Red Pepper Flakes - sprinkle a pinch of red pepper flakes to add some heat.
See this cornbread recipe on my website! It's perfect on the side of this baked chicken spaghetti, or serve with garlic bread.
I would normally use a heavy bottomed pan to cook the cheese sauce. You'll also need a 13x9" Casserole Dish. That should be all the equipment you need, other than some spoons to stir.
Once the chicken spaghetti has cooled completely, at room temperature, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Or if you have an airtight container that will fit, go ahead and use that.
This recipe is excellent for freezing and makes a great freezer meal. In fact, I like to freeze this in individual portions so that I can pull out one serving at a time, as needed. Store in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
📘 Related Recipes
- Copycat Bojangles Fried Chicken
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- Southern Chicken Stew
- Southern Fried Chicken and Waffles
- One Pot Turkey Pasta
Try serving this chicken spaghetti recipe with this copycat Little Caesars Italian Cheese Bread Recipe. They pair together so well.
Expert Tip: When reheating your baked chicken spaghetti, for best results you may need to add a little milk to help add some moisture. The spaghetti will try to soak up some more of the fluid over time.
If you’ve tried this Southern Chicken Spaghetti recipe or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
- 1 (16oz) Package of Spaghetti
- 1 Whole Rotisserie Chicken, shredded
- 16oz Package of Velveeta Cheese
- 4oz Cream Cheese
- 1 (10oz) Can Diced Tomatoes and Chilies
- 1 (10oz) Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 (10oz) Can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Creole Seasoning
- ½ Cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- ½ Cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Cook the spaghetti until Al Dente. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Debone the chicken and shred. Set aside.
- In the same pot you cooked the spaghetti, add the velveeta cheese, cream cheese, diced tomatoes and chilies, cream of mushroom soup, and cream of chicken soup.
- Cook over a medium heat, stirring, until everything has melted and combined.
- Add the garlic powder, onion powder and Creole Seasoning and stir well.
- Add the spaghetti and shredded chicken. Toss well so that it is evenly mixed.
- Add this mixture to a lightly greased 13x9” casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella and cheddar cheese all over the top then place in the oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until it’s all bubbly around the edges.
- Remove and serve immediately with garlic bread and salad.
Use a different pasta, try Rotini, or Fusilli.
Change the chicken for Shrimp, or pork.
Experiment with the cheese toppings.
Add Jalapeno for extra heat.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 438Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 112mgSodium 1660mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 1gSugar 9gProtein 27g