I've always been a big fan of banana bread, the simplicity of it. Is it a breakfast item or lunch? Who cares right? I like to make my banana bread with mayo, it just gives it that extra something that I just can't put into words. It definitely helps with the moistness that's for sure.
Bananas in any recipe is always extremely popular, but banana bread is like the king of all quick bread I think? Some people make it less sweet, more like a bread than a cake. This one is sweeter, a lot like cake and (in my opinion) is the best banana bread recipe.
If you hadn't guessed already I'm a fan of bananas.
You should try my Banana Pudding Brownies, or my Banana Pudding Tacos if you're like me and have a thing for this fruit.
- Ripe Bananas
- Vanilla Extract
- Mayonnaise (my secret ingredient)
- All Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Baking Soda
See recipe card at the bottom for quantities.
- Step 1: In a medium mixing bowl add the bananas and mash with a fork.
- Step 2: Add the egg, vanilla extract and mayonnaise and beat with a hand mixer for 30 seconds until fluffy.
- Step 3: In a separate bowl add mix flour, sugar, salt and baking soda with a whisk.
- Step 4: Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold in carefully. Don't overmix.
Step 5: Add the chopped walnuts and carefully fold in with a spoon.
Step 6: Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes in a preheated oven. Remove to a wire rack after cooked, to cool.
Hint: Some people like to use parchment paper in the loaf tin to help lift the loaf out. I personally don't do this - this recipe doesn't need too much help to remove from the pan.
Substitutions and Variations
- Pecans - instead of walnuts you can use pecans, or just leave the nuts out altogether.
- Chocolate Chips - Stir in ½ Cup of chocolate chips instead of the nuts.
- Brownies - Use an 8x8" pan instead and cut into squares.
- Sour Cream - use sour cream instead of mayonnaise.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
I like to use a hand mixer to beat the bananas and mayo at the beginning of the recipe. If you don't have one feel free to use a wire whisk and get busy, just until fluffy.
See recipe card at the bottom for some links to equipment.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days.
This recipe does freeze well, store in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
💡 Top tip
When storing add a piece of paper towel as it can get quite moist in there (this is a very moist banana bread). The paper towel will help prevent the banana bread getting soggy.
📘 Related Recipes
If you’ve tried this Banana Bread with Mayo Recipe or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
You can also follow me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes!
Deliciously moist banana bread with mayo. This recipe cooks perfectly every time and tastes wonderful eaten when still warm with butter and honey!
- 3 Large Bananas
- 1 Large Egg
- ½ Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1-½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- ¾ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Walnuts, Chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl smash the Bananas with a fork and mix them with the wet ingredients (egg, mayo and vanilla) with a mixer until thoroughly mixed and fluffy - about 30 seconds.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl with a whisk until thoroughly mixed.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the banana mixture, until combined (don't over mix)
- Pour the mixture into a greased loaf pan (8-½" x 4-½')
- Bake for 50 Minutes - toothpick should come out clean.
- Take out of the oven and after 5 minutes remove from loaf pan and allow to cool on a rack.
The nuts can be substituted with pecans, or no nuts at all.
The riper the banana the sweeter. Try to use bananas that are very ripe for a delicious sweetness.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 308Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 23mgSodium 310mgCarbohydrates 44gFiber 2gSugar 20gProtein 5g
Chris Montague says
If only you had an oven temperature, this would be a complete recipe people could use.
Melanie Cagle says
Thanks for the update Chris, I had no idea that was missing. I can't believe it hasn't come up until now! I have just gone ahead and added this very important piece of information.