Nothing will ever compare to a good Cajun cornbread recipe cooked in a skillet. It's one you can pull out at any time, throw the ingredients into the cast iron pan and that's it. Now you have one super delicious and moist crumb cornbread that can accompany just about any dish you can think of.
This Creole cornbread goes really well with a lot of my dinner recipes. Especially my Venison Chili, it also pairs well with this amazing Crock Pot Pinto Beans Recipe.
The first time I made a cornbread I was really nervous. I don't know why, little did I know it's so easy! This is a Cajun cornbread recipe that has been handed down the generations, specifically how many I can't say, but I know mothers and mother's mothers are involved.
Hint: Adding the hot sauce gives the flavor a Cajun twist that is unexpectedly delicious.
❤️ Why you'll love it
What I love most about this recipe is that it is really simple to make. Seriously easy. If you don't have to worry about the 'bread' side of the meal and have this super delicious offering for the Cajun dinner table.
- Bacon Grease
- Hot Sauce
- Large eggs
- Yellow cornmeal, fine or medium-coarse grind
- Whole wheat flour
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Sugar (optional)
See recipe card for quantities at the bottom of this post.
One of the things that makes this a really easy cornbread recipe is you combine all the wet ingredients, then all the dry ingredients, then fold them all in together and pour the cornbread mixture into the hot greased skillet.
That's it. The best skillet cornbread recipe you ever tried in four easy steps!
After the ingredients have been mixed together, they should be added to the hot skillet greased with the bacon grease. This should have been warming up with the oven at 375°F.
- Step 1: Add the bacon grease to the skillet and add a medium heat.
- Step 2: Mix all the dry ingredients together with a wire whisk in a medium bowl.
- Step 3: Mix all the wet ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Step 4: Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stir until just combined then pour batter into the hot pan. Transfer to the preheated oven and cook for 20 minutes.
Hint: make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature for the best results (buttermilk and eggs).
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Spicy - if you like an even spicier cornbread, slice some jalapenos and add to the cornbread batter before cooking or simply add some red pepper (cayenne pepper) or more hot sauce.
- Butter - if you'd rather skip the bacon grease you can use melted butter in it's place. Or vegetable oil.
- Apple Sauce - use apple sauce in place of the egg if you need to. A ¼ cup can be substituted for 1 egg.
- Green Onion - Some people like to add some green onion to their cornbread. I get it, it sounds delicious.
- Ground Beef - Add some ground beef and make this Cajun Cornbread recipe a lot heartier.
- Creole Seasoning - instead of salt add Creole Seasoning, see my homemade recipe here. Or Cajun seasoning.
- Red Bell Pepper - you could add some chopped red bell pepper for a touch of sweetness.
- Andouille Sausage - I've heard of people crumbling this into their cornbread.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese - you could add some shredded cheese to the batter too.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
For this Cajun cornbread recipe you are going to need a cast iron skillet. I use a nice large 12" size. See the recipe card below for a link if needed.
Cornbread can be stored at room temperature for up to 4 days, in an airtight container.
Cornbread freezes really well for up to 3 months in a freezer safe container.
Expert Tip: Add paper towel to your container when storing cornbread, as it can get quite moist in there and it affects the texture of the cornbread.
📘 More Thanksgiving Recipes
- Cajun Green Beans
- Roasted Potatoes and Broccoli
- Cracker Barrel Sweet Potato Casserole
- Baked Oyster Dressing
- Cajun Rice Dressing
- Cajun Turkey Breast
- Cracker Barrel Mac and Cheese
- Italian Monkey Bread
- Cajun Muffuletta Sandwich
If your cornbread has cooled too much and you need to warm it back up, then sure. But don't zap it for too long as it will ruin the texture.
A quarter cup of apple sauce can substitute for the egg.
Cornbread freezes really well, for 3 months.
I don't think it's too bad for them. It depends on your dog's system and how often. A little here and there can't hurt, personally I don't feed my dog table food as he turns into a beggar!
Cornbread goes with anything I think! Beans and cornbread are perfect, as well as chili and barbecue! In fact, I bet Lana's Chicken Jallop recipe over at Never Enough Thyme would be perfect!
Not really. It has a touch of sweetness, but if you're looking for a more cake-like cornbread you'll need to add sugar to this recipe.
If you’ve tried this Cajun cornbread recipe or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
You can also follow me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes!
Skillet Cornbread Recipe
This Southern Skillet Cornbread is so simple to make you'll be making it for every meal! It is such a perfect accompaniment to so many dishes - it has just the right amount of sweetness with a yummy crunchy buttery crust. A cornbread recipe for everyone.
- 3 Tablespoons Bacon Grease
- ½ cup Honey
- 2-¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon Louisiana Hot Sauce
- 3 large eggs
- 1-½ cups yellow cornmeal, fine or medium-coarse grind
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1-½ Teaspoons salt
- ½ Teaspoons baking soda
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar (optional)
- Add Bacon grease to cast iron skillet and put into the oven. Turn on to 375°F and allow to heat up with the oven.
- Add all the dry ingredients into a medium size mixing bowl and mix together.
- Add all the wet ingredients into another mixing bowl and mix well.
- Take the wet ingredients and add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Once the oven has reached the right temperature pour the batter into the hot skillet.
- Cook in the oven for 25-35 minutes (or a toothpick inserted comes out clean)
I added the sugar option as I know that some people like their cornbread a little sweeter! I like it this way, without the sugar as sweetness can always be added afterward with a drizzle of honey!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 193Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 60mgSodium 369mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 1gSugar 18gProtein 4g
Chef Dennis says
I just can't wait to taste this Southern Cornbread Recipe of yours! It looks really delicious and I'm sure my wife will love this, too!
This looks amazing! I love cornbread especially with holiday meals. This will be perfect for Christmas dinner.
Melanie Cagle says
Glad you like it, let me know how it goes!?
Moop Brown says
Being from the south, I always love comforting and tasty looking dishes like these. Thanks for sharing!
This makes such a great side to any dinner! I love the flavor of bacon and honey in here. It really makes it special!
Melanie Cagle says
Glad you liked it!!
Your Cornbread recipe looks really tasty! By the ingredients I can already tell you my family will love it. Will prepare it soon to serve with our favourite meals!
Melanie Cagle says
Thanks, let me know how it goes!?
I love cornbread and love how your recipe works in a skillet. It made it a lot easier to make for a lazy Sunday brunch at home. Will definitely be making this again.
Melanie Cagle says
Glad you liked it Cindy!!
Naiby Jacques says
I've always wanted to make cornbread but never tempted it. You make it look so easy. It's now a definite thing to put on my TO-MAKE list.
Melanie Cagle says
Thanks Naiby, hope you enjoy it!