Who doesn't love a simple birthday cake idea, one that everyone adores and is a classic favorite? Birthday brownies are our new family favorite.
You could even give this birthday brownie as a gift - just invest in a classic gift box that will fit the brownie slab and decorate it in the box.
❤️ Why you'll love it
- This is a great way to make a birthday cake that everyone loves - brownies are the best! These gourmet brownies are delicious and can be decorated so easily.
- Brownies are super quick, so mix those ingredients, get it baking and have a birthday cake in less than an hour!
- Powdered Sugar
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Vanilla Extract
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities.
- Step 1: Add the Sugar, Flour, Cocoa, Powdered Sugar, Salt and chocolate chips to a medium mixing bowl and mix together well.
- Step 2: Add the Eggs, Melted Butter, oil and vanilla to another mixing bowl and mix together.
- Step 3: Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir carefully, being careful not to overmix.
- Step 4: Pour batter to a greased 8x8" baking pan lined with greased parchment paper and bake at 325°F for 40 minutes.
- Step 5: Add the softened butter to a medium mixing bowl and beat until creamy.
- Step 6: Add the powdered sugar, in batches so as not to make too much mess. Add the Vanilla and milk. Beat until frosting is at preferred consistency.
- Step 7: Spread onto the cooled brownie square.
- Step 8: Cover the buttermilk frosting with sprinkles of your choice.
Hint: Allow the brownies to cool completely before adding the frosting or you might find the frosting get too soft.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- White Chocolate - instead of the semi-sweet chocolate chips you could use white chocolate.
- Brownie Mix - Instead of making these brownies from scratch like this, save some time and use a brownie mix.
- Milk Chocolate Chips - Use milk chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet chips.
- Heavy Cream - use heavy cream in the frosting, instead of milk.
- Skim Milk - use skimmed milk in the frosting instead of milk.
- Vegan Milk - If required, use vegan milk instead.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
You'll need an 8x8" baking pan (or a 9x9" will also be fine).
Some mixing bowls, a cooling rack and whisk. Find some affiliate links in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
These birthday brownies can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days. In the refrigerator for 1 week.
They do freeze well, but I recommend not frosting the brownies and freeze them before. Then when you need to take them out, frost them then.
Expert Tip: Do not overmix your brownie batter or you'll end up adding air to it. This will then cause it to rise a little - but then it'll sink in the middle.
Dress up your birthday brownies in the most festive way appropriate for whoever you are making them for. Serve with ice cream too.
Other Great Brownie Recipes
Or, if you like chocolate oat bars, these M&M Chocolate Oat Bars are great for birthdays too!
If you’ve tried these Birthday Brownies or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 1-½ Cups Granulated Sugar
- ¾ Cup All Purpose Flour
- ⅔ Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ½ Cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ Cup Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- ¾ Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Large Eggs
- ½ Cup Butter, unsalted and melted
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Butter, Salted and softened
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- Rainbow Sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Add the sugar, flour, cocoa, powdered sugar, chocolate chips and salt to a medium mixing bowl and mix together well.
- Add the Eggs, melted butter (cooled), oil and vanilla to a large mixing bowl and mix together well.
- Add the dry ingredients from step 1 to the wet ingredients in step 2 and stir carefully until just combined.
- Line a greased 8x8" Baking pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking oil.
- Spread the brownie batter into the baking pan evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl add the softened stick of butter and beat until creamy.
- In batches (so you don't make a mess) add the powdered sugar. Then the vanilla and milk.
- Once you have the desired consistency for the frosting spread evenly over the brownie slabs.
- Decorate with desired sprinkles then cut into 9 squares.
If you find the frosting too wet/loose add more powdered sugar. If you find it to stiff, add a little more milk.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 9 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 677Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 96mgSodium 279mgCarbohydrates 105gFiber 2gSugar 92gProtein 4g