A wonderful combination of tastes and textures in this copycat Cracker Barrel Kale Salad recipe. It's the perfect side for any entree, with the sweet and peppery flavors marrying well.
This is a popular Thanksgiving Salad or Christmas Salad, due to the cranberries and Brussel sprouts, however, I love to serve this salad year round.
❤️ Why you'll love it
- It's inexpensive, which is great in today's economy.
- It adds a certain level of special-ness to your dinner.
- It's easy and you can whip it up in less than 10 minutes.
- If you've been to Cracker Barrel restaurants, you know their food is delicious right? This copycat version is spot on.
- It's a great way to get your daily value of veggies into your diet.
- Curly Kale
- Brussel Sprouts
- Crunchy Pecans
- Dried Cranberries (sweet craisins)
- Granulated Sugar
- White Vinegar
- Maple Syrup
- Olive Oil
- Mustard Powder
- Sea Salt
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities.
This is an overview of the recipe steps. For more detailed instructions visit the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Step 1: Wash and chop the kale and the Brussel sprouts with a sharp knife.
- Step 2: Add to a large mixing bowl with the dried cranberries and pecans.
- Step 3: Mix the maple vinaigrette dressing ingredients together, well.
- Step 4: Pour the tangy dressing over this sprouts n' kale salad then mix well.
Hint: Do not skip washing the kale, it can be very sandy.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Lemon Juice - or lime juice.
- Red Onions - an optional extra.
- Balsamic Vinegar - if you don't have white vinegar.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - like above.
- Sunflower Seeds - add your favorite toppings like sunflower seeds.
- Dijon Mustard - instead of the mustard powder.
- Cheddar Cheese - add some cheese for protein then it could be a light dinner.
- Parmesan Cheese - like above.
- Green Beans - for more crunch.
- Pumpkin Seeds - more toppings options.
- Salad Dressing - if you'd rather use your own salad dressing...
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Just a mixing bowl, or two. You'll probably need a good chopping board and knife too to cut the greens up fine.
You could use a food processor, but it could chop it too fine and you don't want that. Rather thin ribbons.
I have a few affiliate links in the recipe card below.
📘 More Salad Recipes
- Apple Cranberry Salad
- Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad
- Southern Seafood Salad
- Late Summer Pasta Salad
- Cajun Potato Salad
- Tuna Pasta Salad
- Cranberry Salad
- Pesto Dressing
Store any leftover salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. I would recommend you try to get all of it eaten though because with the dressing it doesn't hold up for too long.
Expert Tip: If you're unsure of a time when family/guests arrive, perhaps hold off adding the salad dressing until right as you serve.
Kale is a superfood, it is so nutritious it's one of the healthiest foods you can eat and that's why it's often used in smoothies and salads.
If you’ve tried this Cracker Barrel Kale Salad Recipe or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 1 Bunch Fresh Kale, finely chopped
- 1lb Brussel Sprouts, finely chopped
- ½ Cup Dried Cranberries
- ¾ Cup Chopped Pecans
- ¾ Cup White Vinegar
- ½ Cup Maple Syrup
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Powder
- ½ Cup Olive Oil
- Wash the kale, the pat dry with some paper towels. Cut out the thick stem from the leaf the roll up and cut into very thin slices.
- Cut the stalk off the end of each brussel sprout, then cut in half and slice thin like the kale.
- Add to a large mixing bowl with the dried cranberries and chopped pecans.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the dressing ingredients and mix well with a whisk, until totally blended and nothing remains on the bottom of the bowl.
- Pour over the kale salad and mix well.
Do not skip washing the kale, it can be very sandy and you don't want a gritty salad.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 355Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 0mgSodium 286mgCarbohydrates 41gFiber 4gSugar 34gProtein 3g