Cream cheese frosting is one of my favorite go-to frostings for decorating anything really. The flavor is so versatile, it really compliments most everything. Like below is a delicious gingerbread cupcake and it pairs perfectly.
Depending on what you're decorating will determine how you will decorate, e.g. decorating cupcakes I'm going to use a piping bag but say a cookie, or like below my pumpkin donuts I usually like to spoon it on there.
❤️ Why you'll love it
- Cream cheese frosting is one of the most versatile frostings (in my opinion).
- It's the perfect cream cheese frosting for brownies.
- Cream Cheese
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
- Unsalted Butter
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities.
- Step 1: Add all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and using a hand mixer (or a stand mixer with whisk attachment) beat at medium speed until nice and creamy.
- Step 2: Either spoon directly onto your cookies (or other dessert) or pipe onto a cupcake/cake.
Hint: Depending on how thick/runny you want your frosting to be you can add a little more powdered sugar or melted butter.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Chocolate Chips - if you want to make chocolate cream cheese frosting melt some chocolate chips and add to the frosting for a rich chocolate flavor.
- Color - use red food coloring (or any color really) to give your frosting some color.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You can use a hand mixer to make this cream cheese frosting, or you could use a stand mixer. Or if you're feeling energetic you could beat by hand with a whisk for a few minutes.
I have a few links in the recipe card below for my favorites.
Recipes To Use Your Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Spice Donuts
- Banana Pudding Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Spice Macarons
- Halloween Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Spice Box Mix Cookies
- Christmas Bundt Cake
Due to the dairy involved cream cheese frosting can only be left out at room temperature for a few hours. After that it will need to be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 4 days.
Expert Tip: If you want super white frosting use a clear vanilla.
If you’ve tried this Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 4oz Softened Cream Cheese
- ¼ Cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and using a hand mixer beat until nice and smooth.
- Using a piping bag and chosen tip pipe onto cupcakes, or spoon onto cookies etc.
Depending how thick you want your frosting, you can add a little powdered sugar to make it thicker or more butter (or milk) to thin it out a little.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 104Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 20mgSodium 30mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 0gSugar 9gProtein 1g