If you're a lover of all things pumpkin spice then do I have a treat for you. This pumpkin spice donut recipe is perfect for you, a delicious baked pumpkin donut with the perfect amount of pumpkin pie spice and a glorious homemade cream cheese frosting on top.
Of course, as we head into fall all the pumpkin spice recipes start coming out and everyone goes nuts for anything remotely related.
I get it, I am one of those people. It's my favorite season. That's why I created this recipe, I wanted to try infusing pumpkin into a baked donut and see how it came out.
....and can I just say "heaven on a plate".
❤️ Why you'll love it
- Sometimes you're not always able to get to Starbucks for their famous latte and you're craving that pumpkin spice flavor - this is perfect as an easy replacement at home. Eat one of these pumpkin spice donuts with your coffee.
- This is kind of like cake donuts so you get best of both worlds.
- You love pumpkin spice recipes, like my pumpkin spice box mix cookies.
- Also, if you love a good pumpkin pie recipe then this is for you.
- All purpose flour
- Light brown sugar
- Baking powder
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Baking soda
- Pumpkin purée
- Cream Cheese Frosting
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities.
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Step 2: Add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix with a whisk.
- Step 3: Add all the wet ingredients to separate bowl and beat with whisk.
- Step 4: Mix the pumpkin mixture with the flour mixture and fold together, careful not to over-mix.
- Step 5: Pour mixture into a piping bag and cut the tip off. Pipe donut batter into a greased donut pan then bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Step 6: Remove from the oven, allow to sit in the pan for a couple of minutes then transfer to a wire rack.
- Step 7: Once cooled completely spoon the cream cheese frosting on top of the donuts and sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice.
Hint: Depending how thick/runny you like your cream cheese frosting you can add a little milk or add a little powdered sugar to get the perfect consistency.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Maple Syrup - drizzle a little maple syrup over after frosting.
- Coconut Oil - Use this as an option for spraying your donut pan.
- Cinnamon sugar coating - Instead of the cream cheese frosting coat with a cinnamon sugar coating.
- Donut holes - If you don't have a donut pan or just prefer donut holes use the same principles just make little balls of dough instead.
- White Sugar - Instead of brown sugar.
- Vanilla Glaze - Instead of the cream cheese frosting you could use a simple vanilla glaze.
- Coconut Sugar - Dust with coconut sugar as an variation.
- Donut cutter - If you don't have a donut pan you could use a donut cutter or just use two large cookie cutters, one bigger than the other.
- Maple Glaze - Drizzle with a delicious maple glaze.
- Vanilla extract - Add a touch of vanilla to the batter for a slightly different taste.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I have a list of the equipment I used in this recipe in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Other Fall Recipes You Might Like
- Maple Bacon Fudge
- Cranberry Orange Shortbread Cookies
- S'Mores Cupcake Recipe
- Banana Bread made with Mayo
- Pumpkin Spice Macarons
- Amish Pumpkin Bread
- White Pumpkin Pie
For best results store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. They will be fine at room temperature for just a few hours but will then need to be refrigerated due to the cream cheese frosting.
These pumpkin donuts will freeze if you haven't frosted it already.
Expert Tip: If you don't have a piping bag you can use a resealable bag (ziploc bag) - it will work the same.
For this recipe I use a cream cheese frosting, but a traditional glaze on a regular donut is made from a simple mixture of milk, powdered sugar and vanilla.
All purpose flour.
Not at all, it's just a hint. Paired with the cream cheese frosting it's the perfect amount.
If you’ve tried this Pumpkin Spice Donut Recipe or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1-½ Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1-½ Teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend (+ more for garnish)
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 2 Large Eggs
- ¼ Cup Milk
- ¼ Cup Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 Cup Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl add the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt and baking soda (all the dry ingredients). Mix with a whisk and set aside.
- In another large bowl add the pumpkin, eggs, milk and cooled melted butter. Mix well with the whisk until completely blended.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and using a spatula carefully fold together trying not to overmix or add too much air to the batter.
- Add the mix to a piping bag with the tip cut off and pipe into a donut pan greased with cooking spray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool in the donut pan for a few minutes then remove to a cooling rack.
- Once cooled completely spoon the cream cheese frosting on top and sprinkle with a little more pumpkin spice mix.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 240Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 42mgSodium 250mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 1gSugar 20gProtein 4g
This does not include the cream cheese frosting.