This delicious Copycat Cracker Barrel Chicken and Rice Recipe is so easy to make you won't believe it. Made with pantry staples you'll be making this often I'd care to bet.
I can't remember the last time I saw this dish actually in Cracker Barrel, but it's a dish I had to make last year when I got a craving for it.
This is perfect comfort food. A classic southern comfort-food dish! The Old Country Store is one of my favorite places to visit.
This dish is Creamy and full of flavor a chicken recipe that you'll keep in your rotation as a family favorite dish.
- Chicken Tenderloins
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Canned Sliced Mushrooms
- Onion, diced
- Garlic Salt
- Black Pepper
See full recipe card for quantities, at the bottom of this post.
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl add some diced chicken tenderloins with some cream of chicken soup and mushroom soup. Mix well.
- Step 2: Add the sliced mushrooms, onions, garlic salt and black pepper. Mix well.
- Step 3: Add the water and mix well.
- Step 4: Place chicken breasts or tenderloins to a casserole dish lightly greased with olive oil.
Step 5: Spoon the gravy over the top of the chicken tenderloins. Move around a little to get between the chicken pieces.
Step 6: Bake the entire thing in the oven for about 90 minutes. Until the outsides are bubbling and the center is golden brown.
Serve over a bed of rice. The perfect side dishes to go with this Chicken and Rice recipe are fresh broccoli, green beans, corn and fresh buttermilk biscuits! The perfect southern dish and a great copycat recipe.
Hint: Due to different sizes of a baking dish and oven calibration you should check the center piece of chicken to make sure it has reached an internal temperature of 160°F with a meat thermometer.
Substitutions and Variations
- Chicken Thighs - instead of chicken tenderloins you could use chicken thigh meat instead.
- Rotisserie Chicken - Shred a rotisserie chicken and mix that into the recipe. You'll definitely need to reduce your cooking time for this as the chicken is already cooked.
- Chop the chicken - Cut up the chicken pieces into 1" pieces - layer on the bottom still, but mix into the gravy after cooking.
- Creole Seasoning - Instead of the garlic salt try Creole Seasoning for a more Cajun/Creole influence.
- Ritz Crackers - Serve with some Ritz crackers on the side.
- Brown Rice or Wild Rice - use brown rice instead of white rice.
- Slow Cooker - the delicious chicken recipe is perfect for the slow cooker.
- Chicken Broth or Chicken Stock - instead of adding water, add chicken broth.
- Green Onions - top with green onions if you like a little greenery.
- Sour Cream - add some for richness.
- Cheddar Soup - for extra flavor.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
I only used a casserole dish and some mixing bowls for this recipe. Nice and easy. It would work well in a large cast iron skillet too.
I have some affiliate links to the actual dishes I used in the recipe card below.
More Cracker Barrel Recipes
- Cracker Barrel Fried Apples - deliciously soft and full of fall spices.
- Cracker Barrel Mac and Cheese - perfect side dish for any main course.
- Cracker Barrel Sweet Potato Casserole - a great Thanksgiving side dish.
- Crock Pot Cracker Barrel Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole - delicious any time of year.
- Cracker Barrel Kale Salad - perfect salad with a hint of sweet and pepper.
Once cooled completely you need to store this Cracker Barrel Copycat Chicken and Rice Recipe in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will be good for up to 3 days. (Or you could cover the dish with aluminum foil).
You can freeze this dish. Keep in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
Expert Tip: Instead of serving this on rice you could use pasta / noodles - this will be similar to a stroganoff dish.
If you’ve tried this CRACKER BARREL CHICKEN AND RICE RECIPE or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 18-24 Chicken Tenderloins
- 1 Can (10.5oz) Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 Can (10.5oz) Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 Can (6.5oz) Sliced Mushrooms, drained
- ½ Cup Diced Onions
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¾ Cup Cold Water
- Cooking Spray
- 3 Cups White Rice, cooked
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Take 2 of the chicken tenderloins and chop them up into small pieces (about ¼"). Put into a large mixing bowl and add the chicken soup and the mushroom soup. Mix well.
- Add the onion, sliced mushrooms, garlic salt and pepper and mix again.
- Add the water and mix well again.
- Lightly spray a 9x13 Casserole Dish and lay the remaining chicken tenderloins out along the bottom of the dish.
- Spoon the soup mixture over the top of the chicken, evenly spreading it out until it is all in the dish. Move the chicken around a little so the gravy can get between the pieces etc.
- Put the casserole dish into the oven and bake, uncovered, for about 90 minutes - or until the edges of the dish are bubbling and the center of the dish is golden brown. Use a thermometer if you prefer to check, the middle piece of chicken should be 160°F.
- Spoon over the top of the rice on each served plate.
Depending on the size of your casserole dish you may need to play around with the time a little. My casserole dish was slightly smaller the 9x13" so the chicken and gravy was deeper... it took longer to cook. Use your judgement and a thermometer to be sure.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 506Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 160mgSodium 970mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 62g