A loaded green bean casserole recipe that will have everyone raving once they try it. Full of that 'loaded' flavor, bacon, cheese, sour cream, mushroom, it's the best side dish for any occasion.
Obviously, it's perfect for a Thanksgiving side dish, as well as at Christmas time.
It's still good just as a weeknight meal too.
❤️ Why you'll love it
- This recipe uses ingredients you'll mostly have as pantry staples.
- This recipe is perfect in the slow cooker too.
- This is quite a classic green bean casserole with a crispy topping loaded with crumbled bacon and crispy onions. It's next level.
- Fresh Green Beans
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Garlic Powder
- Sour Cream
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Colby Jack Cheese (or cheddar)
- French Fried Onions
- Salt and Black Pepper
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities.
This is an overview of the recipe steps. For more detailed instructions visit the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Step 1: Bring a pot of water to boil, add the green beans and cook for 3 minutes.
- Step 2: Drain then drop the blanched green beans into an ice bath.
- Step 3: In a large bowl, mix the canned soup, pepper jack cheese, sour cream, milk, garlic powder and Worcestershire Sauce with a whisk.
- Step 4: Add the green beans and toss to coat evenly.
- Step 5: Transfer to a 13x9" Casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- Step 6: Top with the remaining cheese, crisp bacon and fried onions. Bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
Hint: Don't skip blanching the green beans, it really helps keep a bright green color.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Cheddar Cheese - regular sharp cheddar, or white cheddar.
- Chicken Broth - instead of the milk.
- Cream of Chicken Soup - instead of mushroom.
- Parmesan Cheese - for added cheese flavor.
- Monterey Jack - if you prefer.
- Cheese Sauce - you could use a cheese sauce instead.
- Fresh Mushrooms - for more fresh ingredient.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You'll need a pot to boil the green beans, a large mixing bowl and a 13x9" casserole dish.
I have some affiliate links in the recipe card below.
📘 More Casserole Recipes
- Hobo Casserole
- Hamburger Hashbrown Casserole
- John Wayne Casserole
- Cracker Barrel Sweet Potato Casserole
Once this loaded green bean casserole has cooled completely store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Expert Tip: Make ahead - Prepare up to the step right before you cook in the oven, then cover with foil and refrigerate. When you're ready, remove from the refrigerator to allow to warm up somewhat, while the oven heats. Then continue the recipe steps.
Fresh green beans are always going to have more flavor. However, if I were to have to choose between canned or frozen, I would choose frozen. I find canned green beans to be a little too soft and full of sodium.
As mentioned earlier, you can make this recipe ahead by preparing up to the point right before you'd put into the oven. Then cover and refrigerate. It can taste better like this too, it gives time for the flavors to marry together.
If you’ve tried this Loaded Green Bean Casserole Recipe or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 1lb Green Beans, trimmed and washed
- 1 (10oz) Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ Cup Milk
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Pepper Jack Cheese, freshly grated
- 1 Cup Colby Jack Cheese, freshly grated
- 5 Pieces Bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 Cup Crispy Fried Onions
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the green beans and cook for 3 minutes.
- Drain the green beans after the quick boil then add to an ice water bath.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cream of mushroom soup, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, milk, sour cream and pepper jack cheese. Mix well with a whisk.
- Add the green beans to this mixture and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a 13x9" Casserole dish and level out. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, top with first the colby jack cheese, then the onions and bacon then bake another 10 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 303Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 48mgSodium 726mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 14g