Easter leftover candy - Wondering what to do with all that Easter candy you have scattered all over the house? Ok, that maybe not true in your house.... but in the Cagle House the kids leave a lot to be desired in the area of tidiness.
This recipe is great to re purpose some of that chocolate. It's visually impressive, easy to make and everyone will love it!
What's great about a chocolate trifle is you can't really go wrong. You know what goes together, I typically go for the traditional option of fruit and custard etc but there is no limits when it comes to changing it up! All you need to do is invest in a trifle bowl and you'll get years of surprising everyone with an easy to make dessert. Easter leftover candy chocolate trifle!
In this trifle I managed to get a whole hollow egg, about 8 Reese's peanut butter eggs, some Moon Pies, a Heavenly Hash and few small candies. The point is, which candy you use doesn't really matter, a lot of people like to use Heath bars, Snickers etc. It just all goes together and creates a melty wonderfulness in your mouth!
The first layer of the chocolate trifle - the chocolate cake or brownies. You can just make a boxed chocolate cake at home, or buy one pre-made at the store.
Then add a layer of chocolate pudding, followed by the candy, followed by a layer of Cool Whip. Then all you have to do is repeat the layers!
As you can see above we used some Moon Pies and the Reese's eggs in this layer.
You will want to finish of with a layer of Cool Whip, like below.
You can decorate using anything. Sprinkles is good, but in this case we still had some chocolate left so I just chopped it up and sprinkled on top. It still looked good!
- 2 x Box Type Brownies (or any chocolate type cake)
- 2 x Chocolate Pudding Mix (3.4oz)
- 2 x Cool Whip Original, (12oz) Slightly Frozen
- 4 x Cups Milk
- Easter Candy (Chocolate)
- Cook chocolate cake/brownies as directed on packet (25-35 mins) and allow to cool.
- Make chocolate pudding as directed.
- Chop easter candy into small bite size pieces.
- After cake has cooled make first layer at the bottom of the dish.
- Next layer chocolate pudding on top of cake.
- Take easter candy and layer on top of the pudding, just enough to cover the entire surface, but only one bite size deep.
- Cover candy pieces with a layer of cool whip.
- Repeat layering until dish is full. Finish with cool whip on top and decorate with grated chocolate pieces.
Refrigerate between servings.
There will likely be leftover ingredients so I like to make single serve trifles in glasses.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 2 Cups
Amount Per Serving Calories 655Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 8.2gTrans Fat 3gUnsaturated Fat 2.2gCholesterol 21mgSodium 275mgCarbohydrates 32gProtein 10g
The nutrition information listed is estimated based on ingredients.