Spaghetti and meatballs is always a family favorite for us. What I love about cooking this crockpot spaghetti and meatballs recipe is I can just throw it together and let it cook all day while I'm busy either working, or out with the kids! Then come home to that beautiful smell .... and everyone shouts, "Mmmmmm, Spaghetti Meatballs!!"
I like to start by getting the sauce ingredients into the crockpot:
2 x 29oz Cans of Tomato Sauce
2 x 14.5 oz Cans of Chopped Tomatoes (with the basil seasoning)
2 x Carrots (for sweetness - plus it's a sneaky way to get my kids and husband to eat vegetables!)
1 x Large Onion
1 x Large Green Bell Pepper
1 x Celery Stalk
3 x Bay Leaves
For the meatballs, I like to mix both Sweet Italian Sausage and ground meat. Most people will use ground beef, personally I use venison, just because we have so much we use it in place of beef all the time! That's what comes of being married to a South Louisiana guy I guess, lol. I'm not complaining!
1 Cup Breadcrumbs
½ Cup Parmesan Cheese
2lb Ground Beef (venison in our case)
1lb Sweet Italian sausage (if you can get the sausage meat all the better.. otherwise remove the skin)
2 x Eggs
2 TBSP Tomato Sauce
1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
Salt and pepper
Mix all the ingredients and then form small balls of meat. I usually make a few big ones (James likes the big ones) and a few small ones for my 5 year old, then the rest medium sized. This doesn't matter, it's to your preference.
Once they are formed, if you have time you can refrigerate for an hour. This will help them to retain their form better during the browning process. You could even refrigerate over night - this will make it much easier to get your spaghetti and meatballs ready in the morning, if yours is a busy one! It is not necessary though, this meatball recipe has them binding well and not falling apart!
After this, you can leave your spaghetti and meatballs cooking all day while you take care of other business. Whether you work, or need to take care of things in the home, or take the kids out somewhere.... this is perfect to come home to!
We love Spaghetti and Meatballs!
The best part about this meal is it can be frozen and brought out at another time... also, it is great as leftovers! It tastes better after a few days of marinating!
This homemade recipe for Spaghetti and Meatballs is deliciously tasty and served with a garlic bread side is a hearty meal that will satisfy any appetite!
- Ground Beef, 2lb
- Sweet Italian Sausage, 1lb
- Breadcrumbs, 1 Cup
- Eggs, 2 Large
- Tomato Sauce, 2 Tbsp
- Parmesan Cheese, ½ Cup
- Italian Seasoning, 1 Tbsp
- Parsley, 1 Tbsp
- Worcestershire Sauce, 1 Tbsp
- Tomato Sauce, 2 x 29oz Cans (less 1 tsp)
- Chopped Tomatoes, 2 x 14.5oz Cans
- Green Bell Pepper, 1 x Large finely chopped
- Sweet Onion, 1 x Large finely chopped
- Celery, 1 x Stalk finely chopped
- Garlic, 2 Tbsp minced
- Carrots, 2 x Large very finely chopped
- Bay Leaves, 3 x Large
- Spaghetti, 1lb
- Olive Oil, 2 Tbsp
- Salt, 1 Tbsp
- Pepper, ½ Tbsp
- Take Italian Sausage out of skin and mix with ground beef
- In a bowl mix meat, breadcrumbs, eggs, Worcestershire Sauce, 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning, ½ Tbsp Parsley, 2 Tbsp of Tomato Sauce and Parmesan Cheese. Mix well then form meatballs to your preferred size.
- Add olive oil to a skillet and brown the meatballs.
- While they are browning add the tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, celery, garlic, carrots, bay leaves and remaining seasoning to the crockpot and stir well.
- Once the meatballs are browned add to the crockpot and push down into the sauce. Allow to cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Cook spaghetti as instructed on the packet, and serve sauce/meatballs on top. Add parmesan to taste.
If you can find the chopped tomatoes that have the oregano and basil seasoning this adds further great taste.
Use a food processor to chop the carrots very finely, they will melt into the sauce and add sweetness that will cut the acidity of the tomatoes eliminating the need to add sugar.
As we are a hunting family we use Venison in place of the beef and it works beautifully!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 472Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 113mgSodium 1762mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 5gSugar 10gProtein 35g
These nutritional values are an estimation only.
If you like my spaghetti meatballs recipe please comment in the section below.
More from The Cagle Diaries: