The perfect side dish for any seafood, this southern sweet hush puppies recipe is really easy to make at home with ingredients you likely already have. Delicious, perfectly sweetened and full of flavor, these hush puppies are the best you'll ever eat.
They're perfectly crispy on the outside and soft and tender inside. They pair perfectly with seafood.
❤️ Why you'll love them
- They're super easy to make.
- These homemade hush puppies are amazingly quick to prepare.
- Ingredients you should already have in your pantry.
- Taste delicious, just like the seafood restaurants make.
- Yellow Cornmeal
- Self-rising flour
- Creole Seasoning (or Cajun seasoning)
- Garlic Powder
- Baking Powder
- Granulated Sugar
- Whole milk
- Red onion
- Green onion
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities.
- Step 1: In a large bowl add all the dry ingredients and mix well with a whisk.
- Step 2: In a jug or small bowl add the milk and egg and beat well until smooth.
- Step 3: Pour the wet ingredients (the milk mixture) into the dry ingredients and stir well with the whisk until smooth.
- Step 4: Add the minced red onions to the cornmeal batter and stir again.
- Step 5: All the batter to sit for 10 minutes, for the leavening agents to work.
- Step 6: Dip a small cookie scoop into preheated cooking oil - that is at least 2" deep. Next scoop some of the hush puppy batter and drop into the hot cooking oil.
- Step 7: Repeat until you have about 8 hush puppies in the hot grease. Cook turning occasionally. Cook about 3 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Step 8: Remove from the oil to a pan lined with paper towels.
- Step 9: Repeat with the remaining batter.
Hint: Work in small batches so as to not overcrowd the pot.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Canola Oil - instead of vegetable oil.
- Peanut Oil - instead of vegetable oil.
- Black Pepper - if you like your hush puppies more peppery.
- Sweet Onion - instead of the red onion.
- Cayenne Pepper - to imbue a little heat.
- Corn Kernels - Some people love to taste corn in their hush puppies.
- Onion Powder - For more flavor.
- Lemon Pepper - as these are traditionally served with seafood it's only right to think about adding a lemon flavor.
- Lemon Juice - add a teaspoon of lemon juice, for a slight tang to the hush puppies.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Depending on your frying preferences - you will need your favorite frying pot ready. Whether that's a Dutch oven, or an electric skillet or a regular skillet on the stove.
You'll need mixing bowls to prepare the hush puppies.
📘 Related Recipes
Store the cooled hush puppies in an airtight container lined with paper towel, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
These delicious little morsels actually freeze well, so if you have some leftover that you wish to freeze, store in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 6 months.
Expert Tip: Use a wire rack to help drip dry the hush puppies over a paper towel-lined plate. Then after a few minutes remove the wire rack.
I love the story behind a hush puppy. Apparently, they were made by slaves trying to escape confederate soldiers and they'd keep them in their pockets so that they can quiet barking dogs on their way to escaping.
If you’ve tried this Southern Sweet Hush Puppies Recipe or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- ¾ Cup Cornmeal
- ½ Cup Self Rising Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Creole Seasoning
- ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ¼ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ Cup Whole Milk
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Large Egg
- ¼ Cup Minced Red Onion
- Green Onions (optional garnish)
- Vegetable Oil for Frying
- Preheat the oil in a skillet, or electric fryer, or however you prefer to fry your food, to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl add the cornmeal, self rising flour, Creole seasoning, granulated sugar, salt and garlic powder. Mix with a whisk.
- In a jug, or a small bowl, add the milk and the egg and beat until smooth.
- Pour into the dry ingredients then mix well until smooth.
- Add the red onion and stir again. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before frying.
- Using a small cookie scoop, first dip it into the hot oil (carefully), then take a scoop of the batter. Drop into the oil and repeat until you have about 8 hush puppies in your pot. After frying about 1 minute flip them over (if they haven't already done so by themselves).
- After about 3 minutes cooking - per side - and they're nice and golden brown remove from the cooking oil onto a pan lined with paper towels.
- Repeat with the remaining hush puppy batter.
Keep a close eye on these hush puppies while they fry. They have a tendency to hit that golden brown all of a sudden.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 131Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 25mgSodium 381mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 1gSugar 8gProtein 3g
This does not take into consideration the frying grease.