If you're wondering what to serve with seafood gumbo, then you've come to the right place. We like to think of ourselves as connoisseurs when it comes to a gumbo, we make it almost weekly. Here's what is typically served with it.
Seafood Gumbo is a National treasure in New Orleans and all over Louisiana. The dish dates back hundreds of years, origins in North Africa - (from the import of slaves).
❤️ Why you'll love it
- Seafood Gumbo is actually not too difficult to make. One of the most important factors that can affect the dish is the making of the roux. I have a post dedicated to that very subject - How to make a dark roux.
- It's the ultimate comfort food. It leaves you with a very full tummy and the flavors are out of this world.
- You don't need a good reason to make an unforgettable meal!
Vegetables are a good choice on what to serve with seafood gumbo. There are a few obvious choices, but then some not so thought of;
- Corn - either grilled or loose.
- Okra - some people cook with it and include it in the gumbo itself (actually Gumbo translates to Okra). You could have it as an optional side though.
- Green Beans - a side of some green beans wouldn't go amiss. Check out my Cajun Green Beans recipe.
Traditionally, we serve potato salad with our seafood gumbo, and we make it a little differently too. Check out my Cajun potato Salad to see how we make it.
- Hasselback Potatoes
- Crispy Instant Pot Potatoes
- Mashed Potatoes
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Cajun Fries
- Steamed Baby Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes
- Sweet Potato Wedges
- Cajun Potato Salad
Hint: The potato salad above is traditionally seasoned with a delicious Cajun Seasoning. Check out my homemade Cajun Seasoning recipe here.
🥖 Breads, etc.
A bread is a great idea, to help soak up those Cajun gumbo juices;
- Crusty French Bread
- Southern Sweet Hush Puppies
- Texas Toast
- Cheese Bread
- Cajun Cornbread
- Crawfish Pistolettes
- Crawfish Bread
- Focaccia Bread
- Pizza Bread
- Garlic Bread
- Pull Apart Bread
- Stuffed Flatbread
- Knot Rolls
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
I could almost say rice goes without saying....but then I have to remember, a lot of people are not familiar with seafood gumbo so I can't assume. Here's some great rice dishes that could be served along side;
- Boiled White Rice (traditionally served)
- Garlic Parmesan Rice
- Brown Rice
- Rice Pilaf
- Mushroom Risotto
There's so many different seasonings to choose from these days. The seasonings used actually IN the gumbo itself could be many, but here's what can be served on the side to get those taste buds clapping;
- Cajun Two Step Seasoning
- Creole Seasoning
- Gumbo File Powder (or filé powder, made from sassafras leaves)
- Old Bay
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Hot Sauce (for extra kick)
- Cayenne Pepper (for a spicy gumbo)
- Green Onions
📘 Best Gumbo Recipes
Expert Tip: Traditionally, we expect to see boiled white rice and a side of potato salad. The rest, it's all lagniappe.
Check out this list of what to serve with Jambalaya too!
If you like this What To Serve With Seafood Gumbo Post or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
You can also follow me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes!
Leave a Reply