Deliciously creamy, making these slow cooker mashed potatoes with chicken broth really gives and extra layer of flavor. An easy potato recipe that helps when you're busy in the kitchen.
I don't know about you, but anything that takes the pressure off Thanksgiving dinner, or Christmas dinner is heaven sent.
Being able to leave these slow cooker mashed potatoes to cook themselves while I do everything else is amazing. You even mash them in there too.
❤️ Why you'll love it
- It's great hands-off cooking- perfect for holiday meals.
- It allows you to leave the creamy mashed potatoes on warm setting and serve them straight out of there.
- The potatoes are so creamy and tasty, I can't imagine making them any other way now.
- It saves stovetop space and is a really easy recipe.
- It's the perfect side dish for any meal.
- Minimal prep for a hearty meal.
- Yellow Potatoes
- Chicken Broth (try my homemade chicken stock)
- Butter, unsalted
- Sour Cream
- Half and Half
- Salt and Pepper
- Onion Powder (not pictured)
- Garlic Powder (not pictured)
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities.
This is an overview of the recipe steps. For more detailed instructions visit the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Step 1: Peel and cut potatoes into 2" chunks.
- Step 2: Add to the slow cooker with the garlic cloves.
- Step 3: Pour chicken broth all over.
- Step 4: Cover and slow cook until fork tender.
- Step 5: Mash with a potato masher (or potato ricer).
- Step 6: Add the melted butter, sour cream and seasonings and mash again.
- Step 7: Turn slow cooker onto warm setting until you're ready to serve.
Hint: I like to use Yukon gold potatoes for my mashed potatoes (I love the flavor), but you could use russet potatoes, or red potatoes.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Vegetable Broth - instead of chicken broth.
- Cream Cheese - add this, cheddar cheese, bacon and sour cream for a more loaded mashed potatoes flavor.
- Heavy Cream - instead of half and half. Or whole milk.
- Greek Yoghurt - instead of sour cream.
- Green Onions - or chopped chives instead of chopped parsley for garnish.
- Sweet Potatoes - for a sweet potato mash.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You'll need a 6 quart (or bigger) slow cooker and a potato masher. Use an electric mixer if you want a smoother finish.
I have some affiliate links in the recipe card below for the equipment I used.
📘 More Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Roast Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Cajun Red Beans and Rice
- Crockpot Cracker Barrel Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole Recipe
- Crock Pot Pinto Beans
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili
The leftover mashed potatoes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
These slow cooker mashed potatoes with chicken broth freeze well. Store in a freezer safe container for up to 6 months.
Expert Tip: If you're holding the mashed potatoes in the slow cooker on warm setting, add butter pats intermittently so that they don't dry out.
Yes, you can do it this way. Just remember to add butter, milk, or cream intermittently so that they don't dry out.
You can burn the potatoes for sure. Especially if you cook them on high setting and leave them too long.
Russet potatoes are known for being excellent for mash because of their high starch content, they break down really easily. Yukon Gold potatoes add a certain buttery-ness to mash!
This happens when the potatoes are not quite cooked enough, also if you add cold milk/cream/butter before you mash the potatoes.
If you’ve tried this Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes with Chicken Broth Recipe or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 5lb Yellow Potatoes, peeled and cut into even sized pieces
- 4 Cloves Garlic, peeled and crushed
- ¾ Cup Chicken Broth
- ¼ Cup Unsalted Butter
- ¼ Cup Sour Cream
- ½ Cup Half and Half
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Parsley, chopped (garnish)
- Peel and cut potatoes into even pieces (about 2").
- Add to the slow cooker (6 Quart or bigger).
- Add garlic cloves and chicken broth, cover and cook on low for 6 hours (or high for 4 hours).
- Remove lid and mash with a potato masher.
- Add melted butter, sour cream, half and half, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Mash again until smooth and creamy.
- Top with slices of butter and a pinch of chopped parsley.
I like to use yellow potatoes, but russet potatoes or red potatoes will be fine, if you prefer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 354Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 25mgSodium 165mgCarbohydrates 62gFiber 6gSugar 4gProtein 8g