This easy sweet potato fritter recipe is quick to get together, with little skill needed. The fritters are deliciously crunchy and full of ginger and spice flavors, pairing perfectly with the sweet and spicy dip.
Due to it being a sweet potato recipe, naturally it's more popular in fall and winter. These sweet potato fritters are a perfect party food.
It's great for game day, super bowl snacks, as a Thanksgiving appetizer or just a fall get together.
❤️ Why you'll love it
- The ingredients are easy to find, you should have them mostly in your kitchen.
- There's no real skill needed to put these together, it's almost like making a hamburger pattie.
- Sweet Potato
- Large Eggs
- All Spice
- Light corn syrup
- Sriracha Sauce
- Peanut Oil (for frying)
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities.
- Step 1: Grate the sweet potatoes into a large bowl and squeeze out the excess liquid. Add the ginger, flour, eggs, cinnamon, Salt, All Spice and mix together well.
- Step 2: Add the peanut oil to a large skillet (I do like using a large cast iron skillet), making it about ½" deep, turn on medium-high heat bringing it to 350°F.
- Step 3: Form patties, about 3" in size with the fritter mixture.
- Step 4: Once the oil has come to temperature place about 5 fritters into the hot oil. Carefully.
- Step 5: Fry over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes on each side, until a nice deep golden brown color.
- Step 6: Remove and drain on a tray lined with paper towels and repeat with another batch.
- Step 7: Mix the mayonnaise, corn syrup and srirach sauce to make your sweet spicy dip to dip the crispy sweet potato fritters into.
Hint: If you don't have a frying thermometer you could check if it's hot enough by dipping the end of a wooden spoon into the grease. The grease will bubble around the wood when it is hot enough.
If you don't like using a box grater and you're making a big batch - use a food processor with the grater attachment.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Honey - instead of corn syrup.
- Avocado Oil - coconut oil or vegetable oil instead of peanut oil. Or grapeseed oil also stands up to the heat well.
- Sour Cream - you could add some to your dip.
- Red Onion - add some finely grated red onion to the already delicious fritters.
- Chili Powder - add a pinch for a little kick.
- Spring Onion - or green onions, add to the fritter batter.
- Brown Sugar - You could add this for extra sweetness.
- Maple Syrup - use maple syrup instead of corn syrup.
- Garlic Powder - for an extra flavor level.
- Brown Rice Flour - instead of all purpose flour.
- Lime Juice - add with some lime wedges to squeeze a little lime juice over.
- Fresh Cilantro - works well with this easy recipe.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You'll need a large 12" skillet to fry the sweet potato fritter recipe in.
Also a nice big mixing bowl. I have an affiliate link in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
📘 Related Recipes
- Cracker Barrel Sweet Potato Casserole
- Crispy Instant Pot Potatoes
- Crockpot Cracker Barrel Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
- Copycat Popeyes Cajun Fries
- Air Fryer Hash Browns
- Crispy Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Fluff
- Sweet Potato Hand Pies
Once cooled these Sweet Potato Fritters should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, lined with paper towel, for up to 5 days.
Expert Tip: For best results in reheating you should use an air fryer if you have one. Otherwise, use your oven. Microwave as a last resort as they'll be soft.
If you’ve tried this Sweet Potato Fritter Recipe or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sweet Potato Fritter Recipe
- 3 Medium sweet potatoes peeled and grated
- 2 Teaspoons fresh ginger
- 2 Eggs beaten
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon All Spice
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- Peanut Oil for Frying
Sweet Spicy Dip
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ Cup Light Corn Syrup
- 2 Teaspoons Sriracha Sauce
- Grate the sweet potato into a large mixing bowl using the coarse side of a box grater.
- Beat the eggs then add to the potatoes.
- Add the ginger, flour, cinnamon, all spice and salt. Mix well.
- Add the peanut oil to a large skillet - it needs to be about ½" deep, and turn on heat.
- Form small 3" Patties from the sweet potato mixture.
- Once the peanut oil has heated to 350°F (if you don't have a thermometer you can check using a wooden spoon - if bubbles fizz around the wood then it's hot enough) drop half of the sweet potato fritters into the hot oil.
- Press down slightly on the fritters if you need them flatter.
- Cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side, this should bring them to having a beautiful golden brown color.
- Remove from the hot oil to a tray lined with paper towel and repeat with the remaining sweet potato fritters.
- Combine the mayonnaise, corn syrup and srirach sauce in a small dipping bowl and mix well.
- Serve the fritters next to the sweet and spicy dip.
Sign Up for my emails and never miss another recipe!
I'll never share your email, or send you spam. Pinkie Promise!