Who would have thought that frozen hash browns in the air fryer were so good?! I've been experimenting a lot with mine since getting it not too long ago and these crispy air fryer hash browns are to die for.
Crispy on the outside and light and fluffy inside and who isn't a fan of a quick breakfast?
My son is so happy that I discovered how to make these hash browns, because if I ever let the kids have breakfast from McDonalds he always has to have about 3 of them!
He loves theirs so much. I'm therefore happy that I've found a way to satisfy his love for them with something healthier cooked at home.
You should also try my Air Fryer Biscuits, for more air fryer recipes on this site, and pairs well with this amazing Cheese Grits dish. In fact, any breakfast item goes well with hash browns! I think I need to try some air fryer bacon....
This ingredients list was easy to make. Literally we're looking at as many frozen hash browns as you can fit in your basket, without crowding, in a single layer.
- Frozen Hash Brown Patties
- Cooking Spray for basket (canola oil, avocado oil or vegetable oil is fine)
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities.
- Step 1: Add frozen hash browns to your preheated air fryer basket in an even layer.
- Step 2: Cook - flipping at the halfway point if your air fryer calls for it until golden brown.
- Step 3: Remove, season with salt and serve immediately.
Hint: I like to sprinkle with salt immediately in the air fryer tray as the cooking time is finished because they still have a slight moistness to them from cooking. This way, when the salt is sprinkled it sticks to the hash browns better!
Try spraying them with a little cooking spray too, for some extra crispy hash browns.
These hash browns are also great served with a southern white gravy.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- I tried cooking the shredded hash browns in the air fryer and it does not work. For me it didn't anyway.
I find that the forced air circulation has some of the shredded potatoes flying around inside. Plus, the way an air fryer works is it needs room to circulate so you can't fill the basket too much.
- If you are making homemade hash browns, I definitely recommend soaking them first and using a binding agent to help keep the patties together.
This will work... but who has time for that, lol!
- Try sprinkling the hash browns with a little onion powder or garlic powder before cooking, for a little more flavor profile.
I like the Vortex Air Fryer by Instant (they make the Instant Pot). If you don't already have an air fryer I would definitely recommend this one.
The basket is really simple to clean in between uses and the selection panel is easy to understand.
If you like a bigger air fryer, than the basket type, you can look into the versions that have the racks. The one I have at home is the Emeril Lagasse version, which I can fully recommend.
I have had no problems with it and it can cook much more quantities than the basket type. It even has a rotisserie for cooking chickens and small turkeys.
📘 Other Great Air Fryer Recipes
You should also try this Old Fashioned Southern Biscuits recipe a try too. They pair great with some hash browns.
If you have any hash browns left (it never happens in my house) - pop them into an airtight container in the refrigerator, with a piece of paper towel to help with moisture. They will be good for up to 4 days.
💡 Top tip
Expert Tip: To heat any leftovers back up again, for best results place them back into the air fryer for 4-5 more minutes. They'll crisp up and be just as good as when you cooked them fresh. I love using my air fryer to reheat most foods, but anything like fries, hash browns, pizza is perfect reheated in this way.
If you’ve tried these Air Fryer Hash Browns or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 5 Frozen Hash Brown Patties
- Oil Spray for air fryer basket
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- Turn on air fryer and input settings, to 390°F for a time of 9 minutes. Allow it to heat up.
- Have the hash brown patties ready for when the air fryer tells you it's ready.
- Spray the basket lightly with cooking oil then add the hash browns allowing enough air to circulate all around.
- Cook for 9 minutes, turning half way.
- Remove, season with salt and serve immediately.
My air fryer requires the food be turned over half way. Some air fryers out there might not need this step.
It's also good to bear in mind that some will cook a little different too. You may require an extra minute either way to get that perfect hash brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 88Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 0mgSodium 216mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 1gSugar 0gProtein 1g
Originally published: July 07, 2021