Air Fryer Crab Cakes are fantastic. It's one of our family favorites. James often makes fun of me when I make these crab cakes because I use store bought lump crab meat.
We often have fresh crabs after the kids and him have been out in the boat... but I just find it hassle free to grab a container from the store. Crab cake sandwich is my favorite, crab cakes in air fryer has got to be the best, hassle free treat I make.
I prefer for my crab cakes to taste like crab and so don't use too much crumb in the recipe. I also don't like to stir the mixture too hard before forming the crab patties otherwise that delicious lump meat will break up.
It's what makes these crab cakes so good. They are full of crab meat! When you take them out of the air fryer they will be quite soft. It's best to let them sit for a few minutes, it helps them bind a bit better.
- Jumbo Lump Crab Meat
- Red Bell Pepper
- Green Onions
- Saltine Crackers
- Dijon Mustard
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Lemon Juice
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities.
- Step 1 - Chop the Red Bell Pepper and Green Onion, nice and finely so they're not too bulky in the crab cake.
- Step 2 - Put all ingredients (except the lemon) into a medium sized mixing bowl and stir well to combine.
- Step 3 - Form four patties with the crab mixture, about the size of your hand. Place into a plastic wrap to help form better and then refrigerate for an hour. This will help the crab cakes to keep their shape.
- Step 4 - Spray non-stick cooking spray into the air fryer basket and place crab cakes in there in a single layer. Air fry at 370°F for 10 minutes. Depending on your air fryer, you might need to flip your crab cake., they need to be golden brown in color. The air fryer I'm using in this recipe is a basket type (InstantPot type).
- Step 5 - Remove from the air fryer and serve immediately with fresh lemon squeezed on top and your favorite sauce.
Hint: you could make mini crab cakes with the crab mixture, to make finger food! Just reduce the cooking time a few minutes. These would be delicious dipped in a Remoulade sauce.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Keto Crab Cakes - This recipe can be made into a Keto recipe real easy - all you need do is swap out the saltine crackers for a keto alternative.
- Gluten Free Crab Cakes - use gluten free crumbs instead of saltine crackers to make this gluten free
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes to imbue heat into the dish, or chopped chilies
- Umami Flavor - add Worcestershire Sauce to give a wonderful tangy, savory, sweet and salty taste. Reduce some of the mayo in this case.
- Kid friendly - add crushed potato chips (ketchup chips!)
I have an Air Fryer made by Instant (makers of the instant pot). I love this particular one, as the instructions are clear, it's really easy to clean the basket after use and is visually attractive in my kitchen too! See my link in the recipe card below to see more about it.
🦀 Other Great Crab Recipes
Try my Southern Tartar Sauce Recipe with these crab cakes. It's delicious.
After the crab cakes have cooled completely, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
They can be frozen - see below;
💡 Top tip
Expert Tip: Instead of cooking these crab cakes after they are refrigerated, put them in the freezer instead and pull them out as you need to. They will cook in exactly the same method as I mention above, just add a few more minutes to the cooking time. The crab cakes will store well for up to 3 months.
- 8oz Lump Crab Meat
- ½ Red Bell Pepper, finely diced
- 2 Green Onions, finely sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Saltine Crackers, crushed
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- ½ Teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Chop red bell pepper and green onions.
- Mix all remaining ingredients (except lemon) in a medium mixing bowl.
- Form crab cakes in hands (about 4 tbsp) and place into plastic wrap.
- Place crab cakes into refrigerator and chill for 1 hour.
- Unwrap crab cakes and place into the greased air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 370°F for 10 minutes.
Serve with Remoulade Sauce or Tartare.
Freeze these crab cakes and easily add to the air fryer as and when you want to cook them.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 113Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 58mgSodium 464mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 11g