These Air Fryer Mac and Cheese Bites are so good it's freaky. Little balls of mac and cheese with a velveeta and bacon center coated in Doritos crumbs.
These can be made any time of year really, I tend to throw them together if we ever have any mac and cheese left from a meal the night before.
They are perfect for Game Day though. Superbowl snacks, party snacks - anything like that. These little balls of deliciousness are great!
❤️ Why you'll love it
- It's a great way to use up your leftover macaroni.
- Air frying is a lot healthier than frying.
- It's the perfect appetizer and great snack.
- It's an easy party appetizer.
- Mac and Cheese leftovers (refrigerated)
- Cooked Bacon
- Velveeta Cheese
- Nacho Cheese Doritos
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities.
- Step 1: Chop the bacon into small ¼" pieces. Do the same with the velveeta.
- Step 2: Add the Dorito Chips to a resealable bag and using a rolling pin crush the chips until they're like breadcrumbs.
- Step 3: Add the eggs and milk to a medium mixing bowl and beat until well mixed. Add the Dorito crumbs to another mixing bowl.
- Step 4: Take an ice cream scoop (or a large cookie scoop) and measure out one spoon full of mac and cheese. Place a piece of bacon and piece of velveeta in the middle then roll the mac and cheese around it.
- Step 5: Dip each ball into first the egg wash, then the crumbs. Place uncooked mac and cheese bites on a baking sheet in the freezer for 60 minutes.
- Step 6: Turn on the air fryer setting to heat to 380°F.
- Step 7: Spray the basket inside the air fryer with oil spray then add the mac and cheese bites in a single layer. Give them a quick spray too.
- Step 8: Cook for about 12 minutes until golden brown. Remove and serve.
Hint: It may seem like like potentially the mac and cheese bites are not cooked enough, or need some more cooking time to be browner - but trust me. The longer you cook them the balls will start to lose their shape.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Panko Breadcrumbs - instead of Dorito chips.
- Parmesan Cheese - add some parmesan cheese.
- Monterey Jack - instead of Velveeta.
- Cream Cheese - use cream cheese instead of Velveeta cheese.
- Ranch Dressing - when serving offer some ketchup, bbq sauce or ranch dressing.
- Mac and Cheese recipe - this can be various versions. The kind of mac used will give you your main result so it's important. Make sure the mac and cheese is cooked well (not to al dente) otherwise it won't stick together well.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I have more links in the bottom of the post.
I have two types of air fryer, the rack type (kind of like a mini oven) but then I also have the basket type.
For some reason, for recipes like this I prefer my basket type. I feel like it being smaller it gets better circulation around the items being cooked (could just be me though).
I love my air fryer - I use the Vortex (by Instant Pot) It works like a charm and I find the basket to be nice and easy to clean.
Other Air Fryer Recipes You Might Like
- Air Fryer Biscuits
- Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
- Air Fryer Corn Dogs
- Air Fryer Ranch Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Hash Browns
- Air Fryer Sausage Balls
You should try this Copycat Cracker Barrel Mac and Cheese recipe - then use the leftovers to make this recipe!
Also take a look at these Puff Pastry Pizza Pinwheels, or Tuna Pinwheels they're easy and delicious for Game Day too.
Store these air fryer mac and cheese bites in an airtight container with a piece of paper towel, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat use the air fryer again.
Expert Tip: The mac and cheese you use (leftovers) should be refrigerated. It needs to be cold in order for it to hold its shape better.
If you’ve tried these Air Fryer Mac and Cheese Bites or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
You can also follow me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes!
Air Fryer Mac and Cheese Bites
Delicious balls made from leftover mac and cheese with bacon and Velveeta cheese in the center. Coated with a Dorito Chip crumb and cooked in the air fryer.
- 2 Cups Leftover Mac and Cheese (refrigerated)
- 4 Strips Cooked Bacon, chopped
- 4oz Velveeta Cheese, cut into cubes
- 2 (1oz) bags of Nacho Cheese Doritos
- 2 Eggs
- ½ Cup Milk
- Prepare the bacon and the velveeta cheese, cutting into ¼" pieces.
- Add the Doritos to a resealable bag and crush using a rolling pin.
- Add the eggs and milk to mixing bowl and add the Doritos crumbs to another.
- Scoop an ice cream scoop of the mac and cheese into your hand. Place a piece of bacon and a piece of Velveeta cheese into the middle then roll into a ball with your hands.
- Dip into the egg mixture followed by the Doritos crumbs.
- Place a a tray lined with parchment paper and pop into the freezer for 60 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F.
- Using cooking spray, spray the basket of the air fryer and place the mac and cheese bites into the basket. Give a light spray with the cooking spray.
- Cook for 12 minutes.
- Remove and serve.
The mac and cheese should be cold before shaping into the balls.
Don't be tempted to air fryer the mac and cheese bites for longer. They will start to melt and lose their shape.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 275Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 88mgSodium 700mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 1gSugar 5gProtein 12g
Leave a Reply