A delicious creamy Crawfish Sauce that is typically served spooned over a piece of fish, or seafood, or even over a baked potato. It's full of Cajun spice and crawfish tail meat and gives any dish an extra bit of decadence.
This sauce is served year round, on to of any piece of seafood. I like to make it when I'm having a Cajun fish fry, just as a little extra something to liven it up.
❤️ Why you'll love it
- It's actually easy to make and very versatile. Once you've made it a few times it becomes second nature and you can play with it to suit your palate.
- The ingredients are typical ingredients you would have in your home. The crawfish tails can be picked up in the freezer section at the grocery store, if you don't have leftovers (like we so often do).
- Unsalted Butter
- Olive Oil
- Bell Pepper
- Half and Half
- Lemon Juice
- Creole Seasoning
- Crawfish Tails
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities.
This is an overview of the recipe steps. For more detailed instructions visit the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Step 1: Add the butter and olive oil to a skillet and apply medium-high heat.
- Step 2: Add the diced onion, bell pepper and celery and cook until softened - about 5 minutes.
- Step 3: Add the half and half and bring to bubbling. Simmer for 5 minutes, until reduced slightly and thickened.
- Step 4: Add the crawfish tails, lemon juice and Creole Seasoning.
- Step 5: Stir well, cook for about 5 minutes, until heated through.
Hint: Don't overdo the lemon juice or you may curdle your sauce. Just a teaspoon will be enough.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Cajun Seasoning - instead of Creole Seasoning.
- Heavy Cream - instead of the half and half.
- Green Onions - sprinkle some over the top.
- Worcestershire Sauce - add a teaspoon for a touch of umami.
- Black Pepper - you could add a touch if you like.
- Garlic Cloves - if you like garlic with your crawfish you could add some.
- Tomato Paste - to add a slight tomato flavor, plus for thickening.
- Hot Pepper Sauce - add a touch of hot sauce.
- Chili Powder - this could be added if you like.
- Garlic Powder - again for that garlic taste.
- Cayenne Pepper - for some heat.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
To cook this crawfish cream sauce all you'll need is a medium sized skillet. I used a 10" cast iron skillet - I love this as it's just perfect.
I have an affiliate link in the recipe card below.
📘 More Crawfish Recipes
- Boiled Crawfish
- Cajun Crawfish Etouffee
- Crawfish Monica
- Crawfish Pistolettes
- Crawfish Ravioli
- Crawfish Fettuccine
- Fried Crawfish Poboy
Once the crawfish sauce has cooled completely store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Expert Tip: If you have used frozen store-bought crawfish tails you may find you need more seasoning than someone using the leftovers from their crawfish boil. If you do find yourself buying from the store - Louisiana crawfish tails will always be much tastier than the china crawfish.
If you’ve tried this Crawfish Sauce Recipe or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
You can also follow me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes!
A delicious creamy Crawfish Sauce that is full of Cajun spice. Perfect spooned over any seafood or baked potato.
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 1 Small Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Rib Celery, diced
- 2 Cups Half and Half
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 12oz Crawfish Tails
- 2 teaspoons Cajun Seasoning
- In a medium sized skillet add the butter and the olive oil and melt over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced onions, bell peppers and celery and cook until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the cream and heat until bubbly. Simmer for about 5 minutes until reduced slightly and thickened.
- Add the crawfish, lemon juice and seasoning.
- Cook another 5 minutes, until heated through, then serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 219Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 108mgSodium 496mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 5gProtein 12g
Leave a Reply