Making Crispy Instant Pot Potatoes is a great way to add flavor throughout the potato, quickly and with fabulous floury potatoes with a crispy exteriors we all love.
You could really make these Instant Pot Potatoes any time, they're a great side dish any time of year. They're especially good as a Thanksgiving Side Dish and Christmas Side Dish.
❤️ Why you'll love it
- Quick and easy recipe to make.
- There are very few ingredients, it should be things you already have in your pantry.
- Pressure cooking the potatoes with the chicken broth really adds some great flavor to the potatoes.
- Russet Potatoes
- Chicken Broth
- Garlic Powder
- Sea Salt
- Cracked black pepper
- Fresh Thyme
- Fresh Italian Parsley
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities.
- Step 1: Peel the potatoes.
- Step 2: Cut the potatoes into 2" pieces and wash the starch from them.
- Step 3: Add the chicken broth to the bottom of the pot (pressure cooker) then add the trivet to keep the potatoes off the bottom and out of the broth (or a silicone steamer basket if you have one of those).
- Step 4: Add the potatoes on top of the trivet and close the Instant Pot closing the vent (the sealing position). Press the Pressure Cook button and select to cook for 2 minutes. Preheat your oven to 450°.
Note: It may seem 2 minutes is not enough cooking time, but it will take about 15 minutes for the pressure cooker to even get to the point of counting down. It's enough of a long time, trust me.
- Step 5: Mix the seasoning and chopped herbs in a small mixing bowl.
- Step 6: Once the Instant Pot Timer has beeped at the two minute mark and the cook time completed carefully turn the lever to force the pressure to quick vent (quick release). Remove the potatoes to a baking sheet and sprinkle with the seasoning.
- Step 7: Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, just enough to brown the potatoes nicely giving it that crispy skin that's golden brown in color.
- Step 8: Remove from the oven and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Hint: Give the potatoes a little spray with cooking oil or olive oil before adding to the oven, to add even more crispiness.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Sweet Potatoes - You could try this crispy instant pot potatoes recipe with sweet potatoes, I would change the seasoning though to maybe something with cinnamon.
- Sour Cream - Serve with optional sour cream.
- Yukon Golds - If you prefer the yellow/gold potatoes this could work. I prefer the nice fluffy interior of white potatoes, I feel they're the best potatoes for this recipe. Gold potatoes will be more waxy.
- Parmesan Cheese - Try sprinkling with a little parmesan cheese with the parsley.
- Fresh Chives - Try sprinkling with chives instead of parsley.
- Red Potatoes - Perhaps you prefer a red potato.
- Cup of Water - use a seasoned cup of water instead of the chicken broth if you prefer.
- Kosher Salt - instead of sea salt.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
You'll definitely need an Instant Pot, or a pressure cooker of sorts. As well as a couple of mixing bowls for the spices, and a baking sheet.
In my recipe card below I have some affiliate links to my favorites.
🥦 Other Side Dish Recipe Ideas You Might Like
- Copycat Popeyes Mashed Potatoes - Try these mashed potatoes for the best mashed potatoes you ever ate.
- Smoked Mushrooms - A simple appetizer, or side dish that everyone absolutely loves.
- Cracker Barrel Mac and Cheese - This is the creamiest, tastiest mac and cheese.
- Oyster Dressing - If you're thinking about Thanksgiving side dishes this one is a must.
Once the potatoes have cooled they should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
They will freeze well. Store in a freezer safe container for up to 6 months.
Expert Tip: If you have an air fryer you could perhaps crisp them up this way instead.
If you are reheating the potatoes after storage in the refrigerator I recommend they be heated up in the air fryer too.
Unless you have one of the really fancy specialty models Pressure Cookers are not designed to operate in the temperatures needed to crisp things up. That's why I finish my potatoes off in a hot oven for the crispiness to be added.
There are models that let you do this. I believe the Instant Pot Duo Crisp Air Fryer works like this, but most regular pressure cookers don't have this function, you'd have to move from the pressure cooker to an air fryer.
If you’ve tried these Crispy Instant Pot Potatoes or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 5lb Bag of Russet Potatoes
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
- A few sprigs of Fresh Thyme
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Preheat the oven to 450F (in convection mode if you have it).
- Peel the potatoes and chop into large 2” chunks
- Pour the chicken stock into the Instant Pot and add the trivet that goes with the Instant Pot (or a rack that will fit on the bottom.
- Place the potatoes on top of that trivet and close the lid. Turn the valve to Sealing.
- Turn on select High Pressure. Put it to 2 minute timer.
- It will take about 15 minutes just to get to temp/pressure then start counting down the two minutes.
- After the alarm tells you it’s the end of the 2 minutes carefully move the valve to the Venting Position for a quick/forced vent.
- In a small mixing bowl add the salt, garlic powder, black pepper and fresh thyme and stir.
- After this place the potatoes on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and sprinkle with the seasoning.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes just enough to brown and crisp up the outer skin.
- Empty potatoes into a serving bowl and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.
- Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 288Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 1mgSodium 347mgCarbohydrates 62gFiber 7gSugar 4gProtein 8g