Delicious flavors of tacos turned into an easy taco soup, this recipe will warm any tummy on a cold winter night as it's full of warm spices, aromatic vegetables, beans and beef. Made in four easy steps with pantry staples this recipe will be your new family favorite!
James first told me about this recipe a few hunting seasons ago. He came home from the camp raving about a friend's easy taco soup that they had eaten while there. He put me to work trying to recreate this dish.
If you are looking to create a 'south-western' theme for the night, you could start by offering this delicious Guacamole Dip. Be careful though, whenever I bring this dip to friends houses if they're cooking, they fuss me because it's so good everyone can't stop eating it and barely have enough room left for their food!
Other Cagle Diaries Recipes You Might Like
Taco Soup Ingredients
All ingredients needed to make an easy Taco soup:
- Canola Oil
- Ground Beef
- Canned Tomatoes and Chilies
- Beef Broth
- Tomato Soup
- Taco Seasoning
- Ranch Dressing Mix
- Salt and Pepper
- Frozen Corn
- Black Beans
- Ranch Style Beans
See recipe card for quantities.
How To Make Taco Soup
- Step 1: Heat the oil and brown the ground been and onions for about 5 minutes (until no pink remains).
- Step 2: Add garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Drain the fluid.
- Step 3: Stir in the tomatoes and chilies, beef broth, tomato sauce and seasonings and cook for 30-45 minutes.
- Step 4: Add the frozen corn and beans and cook a further 15 minutes.
- Beans - Black beans help retain that south-western flavor but if you prefer you can swap them out. Most beans will work in this recipe.
- Meat - I have ground beef in the recipe card, but venison can be used. You could even use turkey if you prefer!
- Salt - This recipe can become too salty really quick, this is why I use a low sodium beef broth. If you have to go further due to a salt restriction, swap out the tomatoes for a low-salt version. The beans need to be rinsed anyway which will eliminate some of the sodium, but you could use frozen instead! You'll have to change up the seasonings too. Eliminate the ranch mix and taco seasoning and use Cumin, Chili powder and Oregano (to taste).
This easy taco soup is named as such because it's super easy to change it up but retain those same flavors!
- Like More/Less Spice - if you like your taco soup spicier feel free to add jalapenos or use the hot version of the tomatoes and chilies. The same goes in reverse if you prefer a milder flavor.
- Slow Cooker - Not surprisingly slow cooker taco soup is great. Follow steps 1-3 then add to the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6. Then add the corn and beans for the final 30 minutes of cooking.
- Kid friendly - This recipe is in fact kid friendly, my kids love it! They don't mind a little zip to their food though. If yours need it to have 'zero zip' use just chopped tomatoes instead of tomatoes and chilies.
After this soup has cooled completely, store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat using the microwave.
This recipe does freeze well. Store in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Once all ingredients are added and this easy taco soup is ready, serve immediately with a choice of your favorite toppings.
Why This Recipe Works
This recipe uses mostly pantry staples. Most of the ingredients you will already have in your home, this makes it really easy to whip together at any time!
The ingredients of beef and beans with the taco seasoning really give it that almost chili-like flavor and instantly makes everyone want a bowl.
Tips and Tricks
- Using Dry Ranch Seasoning Mix really helps expand that flavor profile! I don't know about you but I use ranch seasoning in almost anything. It has that zesty flavor that everyone loves so much.
- Using a Dutch Oven pot will help cook the soup evenly. Or a cast iron pot.
- Adding toppings you would normally add to a taco will give your dish even more pezazz. I like grated cheese, sour cream, red or green onions, avocado, cilantro, tortilla chips.
Taco soup is a delicious south-western dish that was first on the scene in the 1950's. With similarities to a chili crossed with a taco - it's a soup made to taste like a taco.
Yes! Other than the sodium that may be in the canned ingredients, which you can substitute for the low sodium version if needed. All ingredients are healthy and good for most diets.
You can cook a little while uncovered, or add a little cornstarch and water at a pinch.
Any toppings you would normally add to your taco. Grated cheese, sour cream, avocado, red/green onions, tortilla strips all work well.
If you’ve tried this EASY TACO SOUP or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes!
- 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
- 2lb Ground Beef
- 1 Large Onion, diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 3 (10oz) Cans Diced Tomatoes and Chilies
- 4 Cups Beef Broth, low sodium
- 1 (14oz) Can Tomato Soup
- 1 Package Taco Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Ranch Seasoning Mix
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 12oz Frozen Corn
- 1 (14oz) Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14oz) Can Ranch Style Beans
- Optional Toppings: Shredded Cheese, chopped red onion, avocado, sour cream, tortilla chips
- In a large cast iron pot, or dutch oven, heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the ground been and onions and cook for about 5 minutes, or until there is no more pink.
- Add the garlic and cook a further 2 minutes, then drain the fluid.
- Stir in the tomatoes and chilies, beef broth, tomato soup and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Add the corn, black beans and ranch style beans. Cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 432Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 84mgSodium 823mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 6gSugar 6gProtein 31g