These super delicious New Orleans Style Biscuit Beignets are a total mom-hack! They are ready in less than 5 minutes and are simple to make.
❤️ Why you'll love it
The first time I was introduced to beignets was watching the Disney movie that features them. Princess and the Frog beignets is how my daughter refers to them!
These biscuit beignets are ready in 5 minutes - literally (other than the time it takes to heat the cooking oil). Even though it's this simple they really do taste like the real deal from Cafe Du Monde.
- Refrigerated Biscuits - I like to use the flaky layers Southern Style or Buttermilk.
- Powdered Sugar
- Cooking Oil
See recipe card for quantities.
- Step 1: Take your can of refrigerated biscuits and cut each on in half.
- Step 2: Drop the biscuit dough into the hot grease over medium heat, carefully so you don't splash. This happens really quickly so keep a close watch. Turn them over as they start to color.
- Step 3: Remove promptly from the grease onto paper towel for just a moment.
- Step 4: Then place them straight onto the dish you will serve them on, liberally coat them with powdered sugar. The more the better!
Hint: The traditional Cafe du Monde beignets are square. If you have not had Cafe du Monde traditional beignets, boy have you missed out! You might be more familiar with Tiana's beignets (from the Disney movie The Princess and the Frog), they are also square.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Biscuits - There is quite a variety of refrigerated biscuits out there, I have found that the flaky layers type works best for beignets and I like the flavor of the buttermilk or southern style. Any refrigerated biscuit would work though, to make biscuit beignets.
- Cooking Oil - I usually use vegetable oil, but you could use canola oil or peanut oil just the same.
- Honey - drizzle some honey on your beignets, for another yummy sweetness.
- Mardi Gras Style - around Mardi Gras you could use colored sugar to add some festivity to your breakfast!
- Cinnamon Sugar - use cinnamon sugar instead of powdered sugar to add some more flavor.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
You'll need a heavy bottomed pot to fry in - I like to use my Dutch Oven. Or you could use a cast iron pot... or even better, you could use an electric fryer.
You'll also need a frying spatula to remove the beignets from the hot grease.
Beignets are not really made to be reheated, they're best eaten fresh and coated with powdered sugar.
Expert Tip: An easy way to tell if your cooking oil has reached 350°F, if you do not have a thermometer, is stick the handle of a wooden spoon into the pot. If there is a steady course of bubbles around the wood then the grease is hot enough.
Other Delicious New Orleans Favorites
Oh definitely. In fact I recommend it for a short cut breakfast! All you need then is a nice cup of coffee!
They are very similar, a beignet does have a softer inside though, they're pillowy soft.
A French breakfast food that is traditionally served for Mardi Gras or carnival. It's a deep fried dough that is coated in sugar.
When the Acadians settled in Louisiana they brought their food and their language. Today beignets are more associated with the French Quarter of New Orleans and Cafe Du Monde.
If you’ve tried this BISCUIT BEIGNETS RECIPE or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 1 Can Refrigerated Biscuits
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar, for dusting
- Canola Oil, for frying
- Open the roll of biscuits and arrange on your chopping board.
- Cut each biscuit in half.
- Allow oil to heat to 350°F.
- Drop the dough carefully into the oil and fry for about 3 minutes (until golden brown).
- Remove from oil onto paper towel, then serve with generous dusting of powdered sugar.
Dip handle of wooden spoon into oil, if you see bubbles form around the wood then the oil is hot enough.
Try serving these delicious beignets with this Blueberry Milk, the kids will love it (in place of a coffee).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 270Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 59mgCarbohydrates 59gFiber 0gSugar 54gProtein 1g