A silky smooth southern lemon pie recipe that is perfect for any occasion, any time of the year. With a sweet yet tart flavor lemon pie is a classic dessert that has been around for hundreds of years.
You can really dress it up to be as fancy as you like, using cream, lemons and mint (like in my images). Or not, keep it simple for the family to devour and fight over - like they do in my house.
It's perfect as a Thanksgiving dessert, for summer barbecue even at an Easter celebration. A really easy recipe for a classic southern dessert.
❤️ Why you'll love it
- There's just a handful of ingredients making this a favorite recipe.
- You can use a store-bought crust or make your own. You decide.
- The pie would taste just as good with a graham-cracker crust or a regular pie crust.
- Dress it up and bring to a gathering - or keep it simple.
- This creamy lemon pie is one of the world's most popular pies and with good reason. Perfect for lemon lovers all over the world.
- It's a great dessert for the summer months.
- 10" Graham cracker crust
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Egg Yolks
- Heavy Cream
- Powdered Sugar
- Lemon slices and mint (optional garnish)
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities.
- Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Step 2: In a large bowl, add the condensed milk, egg yolks and lemon juice. Beat well with a whisk. Or add to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat it that way.
- Step 3: Pour lemon filling into the pie shell in a nice even layer and bake for 15 minutes.
- Step 4: Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature on a wire rack then refrigerate for about 3-4 hours.
- Step 5: Beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form then add the vanilla and powdered sugar. Beat again until stiff peaks form.
- Step 6: Decorate the top of pie with the cream and add fresh lemons slices and a few sprigs of mint.
Hint: When squeezing the lemons make sure you pass through a sieve. You don't want the pulp or any sneaky lemon seeds to make their way into your filling.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Lemon Zest - add a little more lemon zip.
- Egg Whites - whip up some egg whites and make a meringue. You now have a lemon meringue pie!
- Citrus Juice - if you have another citrus juice you want to try, you could use any.
- Lemon Extract - if you don't have lemon juice and need to add lemon flavor.
- Graham Crackers - Make your own graham cracker crust.
- Homemade Pie Crust - if you would rather make a homemade pie crust instead of a pre-made pie crust then try this recipe. Or maybe you have your own crust you'd rather use.
- Fresh berries - Decorate the top with fresh berries.
- Sour Cream - I've seen recipes use sour cream instead of the eggs.
- Flaky Crust - Another crust alternative.
- Corn Syrup - Add this to regular milk, in place of the sweetened condensed milk.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
If you're using a store-bought pie crust then the only equipment you'll need is a mixing bowl and a whisk. Oh, and the sieve to strain the lemon juice.
If you choose to make your own homemade pie crust - you could either make a Graham cracker crust like this one using crumbs, butter and sugar. Or you could use a regular pie crust - like my Amish Pie Crust. It's delicious - and easy.
📘 Related Recipes
- Amish Peanut Butter Pie
- Grandma's Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
- White Pumpkin Pie
- Amish Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Old Fashioned Pecan Pie
- Country Apple Pie Recipe
- No Bake Cherry Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
- Nutella Trifle
- Southern Peach Cobbler Recipe With Pie Crust
- Cracker Barrel Buttermilk Pie Recipe
- No Bake Snickers Pie
This southern lemon pie should be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It'll stay fresh for up to 1 week.
You can freeze a lemon pie, if you do - do it before you add the cream topping. Cover first with plastic wrap then foil and freeze for up to 6 months.
Expert Tip: Don't overcook the lemon pie. If you should cook it too long it forms cracks in the top as the eggs expand too much.
If you’ve tried this Southern Lemon Pie Recipe or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
You can also follow me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes!
Southern Lemon Pie Recipe
A silky smooth southern lemon pie recipe that is easy to make, has very few ingredients but is a classic dessert that everyone loves.
- 1 (10") Graham Cracker Pie Crust
- 2 (14oz) Cans Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 1 Cup Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- ¼ Cup Powdered Sugar
- Lemon Slices and Mint Leaves for Decoration
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Add the condensed milk, egg yolks and lemon juice to a large mixing bowl.
- Beat well with a whisk until totally combined.
- Pour the lemon pie filling into the pie crust and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to totally cool to room temperature before placing in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours to completely set.
- When you're ready to serve, beat the cream until soft peaks have formed.
- Add the vanilla and powdered sugar and beat again until you have stiff peaks.
- Decorate the top of the pie with the cream, some lemon slices and sprigs of mint.
You can use a store bought crust, or make your own. Your choice.
When squeezing your lemon juice you want to ensure none of the pulp or lemon seeds get into your lemon pie filling. Use a sieve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 282Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 174mgSodium 122mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 1gSugar 9gProtein 5g
Leave a Reply