This is simply the best Country Apple Pie recipe, it's a sweet apple pie recipe that is incredibly easy to whip together with very few ingredients. In fact, I was surprised when I first learned how easy it is to make, a simple apple pie recipe for children especially, if you want to involve the family!
Just a few ingredients, I like to use the refrigerated pie crusts you can buy from the store - they're very convenient and taste great!
- Refrigerated Pie Crusts
- Granulated Sugar
- All Purpose Flour
- Egg White (room temperature)
- Large Apples (Golden Delicious)
See recipe card for quantities.
- Step 1: Lay the first pie crust into a 9" Pie Dish. Brush with egg white and set aside.
- Step 2: Peel, core and slice the apples and put into a resealable bag with the flour, sugar and cinnamon and shake it up.
- Step 3: Add the apple slices and flour mixture (apple filling) to the pie dish on top of the pie crust, spread out evenly.
- Step 4: Take the second pie crust and roll it out on a floured work surface, cut into ½" strips and layer over the top of the apples. Weave the pie crust and brush with the remaining egg white.
- Step 5: Bake pie in a preheated oven for 45 minutes, remove and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
Hint: Make sure to roll out your bottom crust of pie dough and brush with egg before you get started on the filling, that way it has time to dry! This will help prevent the bottom pie crust from getting soggy.
🥧 More Pie Recipes
The same time of year calls for other pie recipes too, try these favorites:
- Grandma's Sweet Potato Pie Recipe - the best you'll ever make.
- White Pumpkin Pie - unusual but even more delicious.
- Old Fashioned Pecan Pie - an old fashioned southern recipe made my all grandmas.
- Amish Pumpkin Pie - An Amish recipe, keeping pumpkin pie simple.
- Amish Peanut Butter Pie - a classic made using almost everyone's favorite ingredient. Peanut Butter!
- Southern Lemon Pie - this is an old fashioned classic recipe that has so few ingredients but makes the best pie!
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Apples - there are so many apple varieties out there, I like to use Golden Delicious or Gala apples but you could use granny smith apples, cortland apples, honey crisp or any other that you prefer.
- Pie Crust - if you prefer to make your own pie crust this recipe will still work well with a homemade pie crust.
- Nutmeg - add a pinch of nutmeg for another flavor dimension.
- Lemon Juice - Add a teaspoon of lemon juice to the apples if you like to cut the sweetness.
- Brown Sugar - Brown sugar can be used in place of the granulated sugar, but it adds a different texture due to the molasses.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
See this Louisiana Crunch Cake recipe on my website!
All you need is a 9-inch pie plate and a resealable bag.
If you don't have a resealable bag feel free to mix in a large bowl. I just like to avoid the cleanup if I can.
Cover the apple pie with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
💡 Top tip
Expert Tip: Place a piece of foil over the top crust for the first 10 minutes to avoid overcooking the crust.
Use any excess dough and create a cute little decoration on top (e.g. leaves).
What temperature do you cook apple pie?
This recipe calls for the apple pie to be baked at 350°F.
Do you boil apples for apple pie?
It's not necessary to boil the apples as the baking time will already make them soft!
Do you make apple pie using fresh apples?
This recipe yes, for best results use Golden Delicious apples... but some people use the canned filling version.
Can you use brown sugar in apple pie?
You can use brown sugar if you were to use a crumble topping but for best results use white sugar.
How long do you cook homemade apple pie?
This recipe has a total oven time of 45-55 minutes at 350°F. If you were cooking on a higher temperature it would brown faster, but would not get as much cooking time inside.
Is this a family apple pie?
Yes, this will definitely feed a family. Depending on the size of your family of course.
If you’ve tried this Country Apple Pie Recipe or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 1 Egg White
- 2 Refrigerated Pie Crusts
- 8 Golden Delicious Apples
- 2 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- ⅓ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Take one of the pie crusts and unfold into a 9" pie dish
- Brush the pie crust with egg white and allow to dry (this prevents the pie crust from getting soggy)
- Peel, core and slice the apples. Put apple slices into a resealable bag along with the cinnamon, sugar and flour. Shake the bag well to coat all the apple slices evenly.
- Empty the apples into the pie dish and spread out.
- Take the last pie crust and slice into thin lines. Weave between each other on top of the pie. Then brush egg white over the top.
- Cover top of pie loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil and place into the oven. Bake for 10 minutes. Then remove the foil.
- Bake for another 35-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Using a Ziplok bag will make coating the apple slices much easier (and less dishes)
Instead of weaving the top pie crust you can place the whole crust on top, but make sure to make 4 slits for the steam to escape.
You can even ditch the top pie crust all together and make a crumble type of topping using flour, butter and sugar.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 335Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 0mgSodium 190mgCarbohydrates 55gFiber 6gSugar 27gProtein 4g
Nutrition information isn't always accurate.