Decadently fudgy these banana brownies are any banana lovers dream come true. Rich chocolate brownies that have a hint of banana flavor.
The fudgy texture of these brownies are heavenly. Then you have that beautiful glaze on the top that crackles while cooling down. Only the best brownies do this and it's why it's one of my favorite brownie recipes.
❤️ Why you'll love it
- These are truly the most fudgy brownies I have ever had. I don't know if it's the added banana but they're wonderful.
- It's an easy recipe - one with simple ingredients.
- All purpose flour
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Sea Salt
- Baking Powder
- Espresso Powder
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Light Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Overripe Bananas
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities.
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 350°F. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, salt, espresso powder and baking powder (the dry ingredients) into a medium bowl.
- Step 2: Mix the flour mixture with a whisk then set aside.
- Step 3: Heat the butter so that it's hot and melted. Pour over the chocolate chips in a large bowl.
- Step 4: Mix the butter and chocolate together until melted and smooth.
- Step 5: Add the sugars and mix to combine.
- Step 6: Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Step 7: Add the mashed bananas and mix to combine.
- Step 8: Add one egg at a time and mix. (Don't get too vigorous as you don't want air in the batter).
- Step 9: Add a little of the flour mixture at a time and fold carefully into the wet ingredients with a spatula.
- Step 10: Line an 8x8" pan with parchment paper and pour the brownie batter into the pan. Using your spatula spread the top of the batter until level and smooth. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Step 11: Remove from the oven and allow to sit in the pan for about 20 minutes before removing with the aid of the parchment paper and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Step 12: Cut into squares and serve.
Hint: Add a tablespoon or two of water into the bottom of the 8x8 baking pan before lining with parchment paper. The water will make the paper stick to it and stay in place while you fill with the banana brownie batter.
🔄 Substitutions and Variations
- Sour Cream - this can be used but it's more for if you are making banana bread brownies.
- Peanut Butter - Obviously we've all heard how chocolate, banana and peanut butter go together! Try putting dollops of peanut butter into your brownie batter, or serve the brownies with some peanut butter on the side.
❤ Sharing is Caring - Like Our Facebook Page ❤
This recipe needs an 8x8" baking pan, or a 9x9" will also be ok, although the brownies will be a little thinner.
You'll need some mixing bowls and parchment paper too.
I have some affiliate links in the recipe card below.
Once the brownies have cooled completely they can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
You can freeze brownies, by double wrapping in foil and then in plastic wrap. Freeze for up to 6 months.
Other Banana Recipes
Expert Tip: Adding espresso powder to chocolate brownies helps to intensify and enhance the chocolate flavor.
If you’ve tried this Banana Brownies Recipe or any other great recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section below, how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 1-¼ Cups All Purpose Flour, sifted
- ⅓ Cup Cocoa Powder, sifted
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Espresso Powder
- 1-½ Cups Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter, melted (and hot)
- ¾ Cup Light Brown Sugar, packed
- 1-½ Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Ripe Fresh Bananas, mashed
- 2 Large Eggs, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, espresso powder and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Mix with a whisk. Set Aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the chocolate chips. Pour hot butter over the chocolate chips.
- Stir the chocolate chips and butter until they have totally melted and become smooth.
- Add the sugars and stir until combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and stir until combined.
- Add the mashed bananas and stir again.
- Add one egg and stir then add the other egg.
- Add a little of the flour mixture and carefully stir into the chocolate mixture with a spatula, do not over mix or incorporate air into the batter. Continue until all the flour mixture has been added.
- Line an 8x8" baking pan with parchment paper then pour the brownie batter into the pan. Use the spatula to smooth the top out until even.
- Bake for 40 minutes then remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes before lifting out of the pan, onto a cooling rack to cool all the way.
It's important not to incorporate too much air into a brownie batter so that it doesn't sink in the middle.
Using overripe bananas will make for a sweeter banana flavor for these chocolate banana brownies.
Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 9 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 838Total Fat 34gSaturated Fat 20gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 96mgSodium 291mgCarbohydrates 131gFiber 5gSugar 82gProtein 10g