This is simply the best American Apple Pie recipe, it's a sweet apple pie recipe that is incredibly easy to whip together with very few ingredients. In fact, I was surprised when I first learned how easy it is to make, a simple apple pie recipe for children especially, if you want to involve the family!
American apple pie ingredients
Just a few ingredients, I like to use the pie crusts you can buy from the store - they're very convenient and taste great! Make sure to roll out your first layer of pastry and brush with egg before you get started on the filling, that way it has time to dry!
Core, peel and slice then place all the ingredients together into a ziplok bag to coat them evenly.
Once you have all the ingredients coated together place into pie dish and design your crust over the top. If you place the crust in a solid state remember to slice 4 cuts into the crust for the steam to escape.
If you are going to weave the top crust go ahead and slice the top crust into slices to weave (like below):
Then simply brush egg white over the top crust of this very easy apple pie and it's ready to go into the oven.
Lay a layer of tin foil over the top and bake like that for 10 minutes first, then remove the foil and bake for another 35-45 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
- Egg White
- Refrigerated Pie Crusts, x 2
- Golden Delicious Apples, 6-8 Large
- All Purpose Flour, 2 TBSP
- Granulated Sugar, ⅓ Cup
- Cinnamon, 2 Tsp
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Take one of the pie crusts and unfold into a 9" pie dish
- Brush the pie crust with egg white and allow to dry (this prevents the pie crust from getting soggy)
- Peel, core and slice the apples. Put apple slices into a ziplok bag along with the cinnamon, sugar and flour. Shake the bag well to coat all the apple slices evenly.
- Empty the apples into the pie dish and spread out.
- Take the last pie crust and slice into thin lines. Weave between each other on top of the pie. Then brush egg white over the top.
- Cover top of pie loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil and place into the oven. Bake for 10 minutes. Then remove the foil.
- Bake for another 35-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Using a Ziplok bag will make coating the apple slices much easier (and less dishes)
Instead of weaving the top pie crust you can place the whole crust on top, but make sure to make 4 slits for the steam to escape.
You can even ditch the top pie crust all together and make a crumble type of topping using flour, butter and sugar.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 311Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 0mgSodium 189mgCarbohydrates 49gFiber 5gSugar 23gProtein 4g
Nutrition information isn't always accurate.
What temperature do you cook apple pie?
This recipe calls for the apple pie to be baked at 350°F.
Do you boil apples for apple pie?
It's not necessary to boil the apples as the baking time will already make them soft!
Do you make apple pie using fresh apples?
This recipe yes, for best results use Golden Delicious apples... but some people use the canned filling version.
Can you use brown sugar in apple pie?
You can use brown sugar if you were to use a crumble topping but for best results use white sugar.
How long do you cook homemade apple pie?
This recipe has a total oven time of 45-55 minutes at 350°F. If you were cooking on a higher temperature it would brown faster, but would not get as much cooking time inside.
Is this a family apple pie?
Yes, this will definitely feed a family. Depending on the size of your family of course.